Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to the hobby... new to the site

Hey guys, and gals...?

Just wanted to say hi, I have been monitoring this site for a few months now gathering tips ideas, and getting googly eyed over all the eye candy this site has. I have done models for a couple years now, but still in the beginning stages, trying to get better, maybe with help I can show some "under the glass" pics, someday

Nice to meet you all, Aaron

Welcome Aaron!

Lots of good folks here with many different styles and tastes, that's why I come in here 4 or 5 times a week.

I'm primarily a race car modeller but I need to see what Bill Geary, Ron Hamilton and Izzy are working on once in a while. Can't beat Lyle's rods and customs or Bob Downie's great exotics, and anything by Monoped needs a good look.

...and a note on Billy Kingsley; I've been seeing his builds for years now and it has been great to see a young guy making such great progress. His builds have progressed from rough to wonderful. This hobby needs more guys like him!

Welcome Aaron! Don't be afraid to show your stuff. We all do it for fun. Most of the guys on this site will be happy to give you constructive "criticism" in a manner of which will only help you.

I have to agree with Daryl, it really is an inspiration to watch Billy K. build. He just keeps getting better and better. The enthusiasm is what I think really gets everyone going. Thanks Billy, and Welcome aboard Aaron!

Chris

Welcome aboard Aaron!

This is THE place to be if you are in this hobby. From racing to cruising, from factory stock to wild customs, there's a bit of everything here.

The best model? The one you are the most proud of and had the most fun doing.

And Daryl, I'm honored you mentioned me along with those legends :wink:

Thanks,

Welcome aboard Aaron. Definitely alot of talent here, that's for sure. I guess I look at forums like this in the way that if I don't learn something each time I visit, then it's a wasted trip. I have yet to see one project where I couldn't learn something from the build, whether it's a paint technique or something as simple as a wheel masking issue.

Always keep your eyes peeled when you are viewing the "eye candy" of other builders and try to apply the techniques you see here to some of your projects. Always keep in mind the nuts and bolts of good, sound modeling is mastering the basics Aaron. Removing mold lines, ensuring good fit between parts and achieving an overall clean build is the ultimate goal. Aftermarket detailing and fancy mods and paint are cool, but messy basic modeling will negate the other fancy things everytime. Trust me, I know from experience.

I have spent the past several months getting back to the basics of modeling and not worrying so much about the photoetched parts, fancy paint and other non-essential parts to a good, solid build. I find that by doing this I'm able to enjoy the hobby just a bit more and the end results of my efforts are more enjoyable as well.

Again, welcome to the site and have fun. After all, that's what this hobby is all about, right? :D