Model Cars Magazine Forum

The world, she's getting small...

When I was a wee, impressionable lad in the early '90s my then-uncle and godfather worked for a local manufacturing company that built and shipped components to the US (he was the truck driver). He would routinely carry the item down and come back empty. The company ended up getting a large contract for several items in Texas and my uncle got the idea to start bringing back cars. One such car was a 1967 Fairlane 500 two door. I have many fond memories of spending time at my uncle's house and playing around the car, watching the restoration progress in its various stages. Unfortunately, life happens and my aunt divorced my uncle after my grandmother died and I never really saw him or his car much after that.

This evening I was browsing Facebook and a friend of mine posted a picture of a 67 Fairlane a friend of his was building; I recognized my godfather's car immediately! I contacted the now-owner (my godfather's cousin) and talked about the car and went through his build album. Turns out he bought the car in 2011 and has been building it ever since, taking advantage of the huge classic car restoration market that has sprung up that wasn't available in the 90s. He is doing the car justice and I can't wait to see it finished!

Same here small world indeed... My brother is a marketing rep for a defense contractor in Taiwan. I visited him in Taipei once and during my visit he threw a party for some military brass. Earlier that day I bought a model of a 1/48 F-5 fighter from a general market. Kit was Asian made, I couldn't read the writing but it looked like a re-pop of the Monogram kit. It came with decals of the Taiwanese aggressor squadron.

That night, at the party, by brother introduced me to a ranking Taiwanese Air Force Colonel. Turns out he was the commander of the Taiwanese aggressor squadron. I ran and got the model and asked him if that was his plane on the box top. He said yes, he'd flown that plane. I was thrilled and asked him to autograph the instruction sheet, which he did gladly.

At the end of my Asian visit, he dropped by my brother's home once again, and presented me with an executive gift of a medallion sized pewter key fob featuring the logo of the aggressor squadron. He said it was a return of honor to me for honoring him with my interest and autograph request the night of the party. How cool is that?

Of course, it's not lost on me that doing this in the presence of my big shot brother didn't hurt his business/political relationship any either, but they were friends and wouldn't have had to.

Edited by Lunajammer