Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiberglass Dune Buggy Build

Merk

Hi: Here we have a work in progress dune buggy build. The kit was missing one wheel so I found these chrome reverse rims with baby moons in the parts box. Body color plan is yellow with buckskin seats. Thanks, Merk

Edited by Merk

Color me interested - I'm looking forward to more on this build for sure. The yellow & buckskin combo sounds like a winner on that little car, although I'm known to be partial to blue and gray :D :

DSCN3833-vi.jpg

Please feel free to drop me a line if I can help out at all on your buggy build. :D

Color me interested - I'm looking forward to more on this build for sure. The yellow & buckskin combo sounds like a winner on that little car, although I'm known to be partial to blue and gray :lol: :

Please feel free to drop me a line if I can help out at all on your buggy build. :lol:

Hello VW Dave: Great looking buggy! Here's a pic of my 1:1 buggy project. Thanks, Merk

Edited by Merk

Hello: Back to work on the little buggy today. Put the VW motor together. It needs a litle more detail but is close. Kit came with a corvair motor also that I might build just to see what it looks like. Thanks, Merks

Edited by Merk

A subject very near and dear to my heart. I built my 1st buggy kit in the mid 60s when AMT came out with the Manx kit modeled from the one owned by AMT consultant, photographer, kit builder and magazine writer, Don Emmons. The Revell Californian is their old 1968-69 vintage Empi kit.

I have a Glitterbug Sportsman out back waiting its turn. Ahead of it in line project-wise are my Hi Jumper ex-race car (same mfg as Glitterbug - see my avatar) and my 58 Baja Bug. I have built a couple of buggies for others recently.

A California Clipper, like yours Merk:

P004072.jpg

and a Dune Runner:

100_3769.jpg

You guys have a couple of interesting cars yourselves. Dave, yours is beautiful! And Merk...yours looks very straight and full of potential.

Interesting links for those interested in VWs and buggies like these:

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

Richard

Edited by MojaveRacer208

Hi Guys:Your buggys look great! I have chopped up a few VWs myself. Raced them in the dirt, on pavement and on ice. Put the most miles on them running through the Wisconsin Woods on weekends. New guy here, hope it's OK to post non model pictures? Thanks, Merk

Edited by Merk

Hi guys: An update on the Buggy build. The hood fit was bad with uneven gaps. Glued the hood in place and filled the gaps, filled the fender mount mirror holes and molded in the license plate light. A coat of primer and the bodywork is done.

Edited by Merk

Looking good, Merk; please keep us all posted as you get more done on it. If you're looking for a scale 'flake' paint for it, I can highly recommend the new Testors 'One Coat' lacquers....I'm after one of those Revell Imp's, as the 'Fiery Orange' paint just screams buggy to me.

Jody - I usually make the Goodguys show at least one of the two days, but I have yet to bring the Manx there....maybe some year, as it is old enough to get in now(based o the Meyers serial number, the body turned 40 this past April). Drop me a line as you plan to head back to the northeast, and we can hook up for sure.

Nick - I wish I had a better pic of the blue gelcoat on my buggy, as I'm sure you'd like it even more in person; it seems to get 'washed out' in most sun-shiny pics due to the flakes. The flakes really 'popped' in this pic I shot last fall:

DSCN2473_edited-vi.jpg

Nick - I wish I had a better pic of the blue gelcoat on my buggy, as I'm sure you'd like it even more in person; it seems to get 'washed out' in most sun-shiny pics due to the flakes. The flakes really 'popped' in this pic I shot last fall:

DSCN2473_edited-vi.jpg

I know I would! :D I love the flakes :blink: That is just sweet looking, looks like gobs of fun.

Jeez Clay, good lord, I think VW fan is an understatement, I want a Bug soooo bad but they are too expensive, you either get a totally restored one or a rusted one. :D

I know I would! :lol: I love the flakes :o That is just sweet looking, looks like gobs of fun.

Jeez Clay, good lord, I think VW fan is an understatement, I want a Bug soooo bad but they are too expensive, you either get a totally restored one or a rusted one. :angry:

I dont even have one....

I want one for gas reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys: I'm tring to post update pictures but the board says I have used 1.94 MB of attachment space and only have 1.95 so I can't upload anymore pictures? Anyone know how to fix this. Thanks, Merks

Hi Guys: I'm tring to post update pictures but the board says I have used 1.94 MB of attachment space and only have 1.95 so I can't upload anymore pictures? Anyone know how to fix this. Thanks, Merks

At this point you probably should consider opening a Photobucket or Fotki account to host your pics; I know Fotki does a 'freebie' limited-size one, and I did that until I needed more space.

Hi Guys: I'm not opening another account. If this board will only allow the few pics already posted then I have found the wrong site. Too bad, I had new pics and story for you all and had just begun to show some crazy outside the box modeling. Anyone want to recomend one of the other sites? Thanks, Merk

Edited by Merk

Hi Guys: I'm not opening another account. If this board will only allow the few pics already posted then I have found the wrong site. Too bad, I had new pics and story for you all and had just begun to show some crazy outside the box modeling. Anyone want to recomend one of the other sites? Thanks, Merk

Photobucket is free and easy,and I really want to see more pics.

Hi Guys: Thanks for the encoragement and offer of help. I can run a computer pretty well and could start up a photo account if I want. Is there a way to get more space here? or am I stuck with the 1.95 MB. I run my own web site with the same forum software so I know it's easy for management to give me more space. For now I will go back and delete my stuff after a day or two and that will let me keep posting new but it does make a mess of the board for people tring to read the old posts because there won't be any pictures. I have quite a few projects going and would like to share more. OK back to the Buggy Build. Here are pics of the wheel adapters and the chassis assembly with motor now installed. Merk

Edited by Merk

What is stopping you?

I don't want to! Thats another internet account I don't need, it's also a double job to post first to the photo account and then drag a URL over here. When I look back over the forum on many earlier posts by others the pics are gone accounts are closed ect. The software running the forum here works good, I would like to be able to use it. However I might like to delete my pics after a few days anyways so this could work out OK. I assume you want to see my stuff? Merk

Edited by Merk