Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building my first garage diorama

jrherald420

I had a 20' deep by 24' wide 2 car garage on my old house. The depth was compromised due to it being close to the street. That was always a pain. My '60 Buick pretty much tapped the back wall to get the door to close!

My house in NJ has a 1 car detached garage that is very small. I have a Celica in there and it's pretty darn full. The neighbor across the street was an original owner, who told me that back in 1950 when the houses were new, he saw the owner had parked his 1949 Ford up on the hill. He was wondering why, when he noticed stakes and string around it. That's how he sized the garage! Built it himself and poured a slab and then put the studs on the ground outside of it! I literally built a foundation under the walls, dug it out and poured concrete in. I had to replace a lot of the lower sill as I went.

My house in PA has a large attached 2 car garage. The ceiling is 19' so I believe I may be able to add a car storage lift if I changed out the doors for a rollup unit. My dream plan (come on lottery!) is to build a detached garage that would be about 30' wide by 45' deep with an upstairs loft with stairs! And I want it tall enough that I could put those car lifts in it for second tier storage. Yea, that would become an 8 car garage on two levels!

• 1 month later...

Progress!! lol Had a small delay with the garage due to trying to bang out some cars for a contest, it was worth it, ended up with a 2nd place in the showroom stock class.

I was having some flops on finding a good base i and building one out of some scraps. It will be 18"x18" so i have room to add a partial driveway and a small side yard. Ended up getting the walls glued together, the top plate on, the flooring glued to the floor and the floor glued to the walls. I also started building the trusses. The over hang is too short so i will fur it out with a double gutter board. I am hoping to have the roof finished in a few days. Fingers crossed!

12591471565_cc3ea6be51_c.jpg
Untitled by jrherald420, on Flickr
12591387745_8399b53c60_c.jpg
12591493373_393f9cbdc6_c.jpg
12591812544_6a20b4d02f_c.jpg