Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detail wire

monsterman

I am new to the concept of "detailing" painting, engine detail, spark plug wire, ignition wire, fuel, brake lines, etc.. I came across a post about using telephone wire, I know model master etc makes wire kits and sells the wire, well tonight I was digging through my wire pile and ya guys know those "USB" cables that come with any sort of printer, camera, etc you buy well afterawhile if you are like me they pile up.. I cut through one to find this nasty metal wire but inside of that were 4 wires green, red, white, and black.. JACKPOT!! So now instead of awaiting my first wiring kit to arrive from scalemodelsbychris I am going to give wiring a motor a go..

Just thought I'd share this with ya but I am sure someone already knew about it.. :lol:

• 3 months later...

When I use to build models in my teens I did something that I havent seen mentioned anywhere yet... though I probably just havent gotten to that post yet... anyway.. what my friend I use to do was take the sprue after we had our parts off it and then heat up a straight piece with a candle and then when the piece of plastic bent down 90% on its own we'd grab both ends and slowly stretch it out. The result was a very thin piece of plastic "wire" that wed then use as battery cables and spark plug wires.

I'm guessing yall may have heard of this but Im learning so much from this forum and all of you that I figured I would share on the offchance that some one hadnt heard of the idea. :D

Jared