Model Cars Magazine Forum

And For Your Automotive Viewing Pleasure...

Jefbo

Well I just started my Fotki site and the art folders started going in last night... or was it early this morning :P .

This is the only Painting I still have from the early days. My wife thinks I'm not willing to part with it. She may be right.

23Magic003-vi.jpg

The painting is:

Title: '23 MAGIC

Size: 30" X 40"

Medium: Acrylic on canvas

Completed: 1986

Done entirely freehand airbrush, my records say I completed this painting in July of 1986, but I think it was finished more around 1982 or so. In gathering a bunch of works for an exhibition I may have needed to gather information that as a young kid I just didn't keep. Yes in many ways I still consider myself a young kid. (You guys are modelers... you know what I'm talkin' about :P ) So we just made it look like the body of work was done more recently.

I did a whole series of paintings where the focus was on reflective and shiny surfaces. Mostly show cars and bikes but also included urban cityscapes with stainless steel and mirrored glass buildings. Even in the urban landscapes I had to include the automobiles and the wet pavement.

Thanks for lookin'

jefbo

Hi Harry,

You wrote:

That's some pretty impressive airbrushing!

Thanks, I'm very impressed with your work Harry. Your Photoshop skills are amazing. That painting is from my pre Photoshop days. Like you I spend a lot of time in Photoshop now, however I still create the painting.

Here is another painting from around the same time.

Motorcycle003-vi.jpg

The painting is:

Title: MOTORCYCLE

Size: 24" X 36"

Completed: 1986

I have no idea where this painting is now. It was on loan to a gallery in Chevy Chase MD. some years back and disappeared. The gallery owner never said what happened, then stopped taking my calls. I feel one day I'll come across it again.

Jefbo

Jeff, I used to do it the old-fashined way myself...acrylics airbrushed on illustration board, so I know what goes into producing work like yours. Unless a person is familiar with airbrushing, it's hard to realize just how much work goes into something like your illustrations. Very impressive!

I'll post one more painting from about the same timeline. This photo did not come out very well. The colors are a little off, and the reflections in the red paint read as black paint and should not. I never got a chance to re-shoot this painting as it was stolen from my Lincoln Road studio while I was out of town.

Red34002-vi.jpg

The painting is:

Title: RED '34

Size: 36" X 48"

Completed: 1988

Thanks again for the kind words,

Jefbo

• 1 month later...

That's some very nice work Jeff. I'm sorry you've had such bad luck losing your work, especially twice. Were you ever compensated for it? I know that I have exhibited a couple of times and they always have the disclaimer about theft and damage but I would think if just one piece of art was taken something would sure be fishy. Anyway, what are you up to now? Are you still doing car art or just art in general?

gbritnell

That's some very nice work Jeff. I'm sorry you've had such bad luck losing your work, especially twice. Were you ever compensated for it? I know that I have exhibited a couple of times and they always have the disclaimer about theft and damage but I would think if just one piece of art was taken something would sure be fishy. Anyway, what are you up to now? Are you still doing car art or just art in general?

gbritnell

Thanks George, As for the losses... I'm mostly over them other then just keeping an eye out for them. And they were a long time ago. As for compensation for the work, the "Red '34" painting was stolen from MY Studio/Gallery, so I was responsible for insurance etc. so no comp. there. A shady gallery owner over 1000 miles away stole the “Motorcycle†painting. It dragged on & on... I wrote it off to lesson learned, definitely fishy. Over 30 years of an art career of sorts, two losses are not to bad.

It's also two too many :rolleyes:

As for now, well let's just say my wife and I have a 10 year old boy! :( need I say more? :lol::lol::lol:

All kidding aside, when my son was born, we needed to get out of the one bedroom condo and get a house. One condo + one art studio on Lincoln Road = one big house. So now I spend most of my time raising my son and restoring a 1930's Mediterranean house (think the movie "The Money Pit") :) . But I still do my art when I can. Some automotive, some commissions from old clients. I also do murals on the occasional Harley from time to time, but not nearly enough. I'm just not setup for a studio in the house at this point.