Model Cars Magazine Forum

Green w/Envy Caddy build

Christopher J

This is the third build I decided on afer getting back into building. It's a two door Cadillac lowrider. I call it "Green w/Envy" This an the 64 Impala I did are the first models I tried my hand on as far as engine, trunk, and interior detailing so please excuse the roughness in look in some parts. At time of posting these pics the caddy is pretty much 98% done but here are the build pics:

ModelCarBuilds012_zps161ddae3.jpg

ModelCarBuilds013_zpsae4de9dc.jpg

There are two different decals offered and one set really lent themselves to the color I chose so I had to use them.

ModelCarBuilds014_zps76eb317c.jpg

ModelCarBuilds015_zps9c8c7918.jpg

As well as a nice accent color for the chassis to help the color I chose for the engine block blend well...

ModelCarBuilds016_zps3b989f0a.jpg

Here are some pics of the interior. I filled in the center part of the dash so I could use some photo etch stereo and AC/Heater control faces I picked up. Since I'm going for the custom look I also "opened" the glove box and put a playstation in it along with installing a small TV and controller. On this build I also modified the Pegasus wheels to accept threaded rods and put small nuts on the back of spinners to make the wheels removable for display at an upcoming show this summer.

Here are some interior pics. I decided to try my hand at seat belts and buckles

ModelCarBuilds017_zps761a714b.jpg

ModelCarBuilds007_zps57cc4327.jpg

ModelCarBuilds010_zps0e312fb1.jpg

Thanks for all the kind replies, very much appreciated. I'm going to put up some finished pics in the Under Glass section. Vintagedragfan I'll definately look up KCSlammers, I work at Hobby Haven part time out in OP KS, I'm sure someone there is familiar there with them. Ramfins59 I agree 100% with you on the dullcoat, I just didn't have any at the time as I was funding my kid's model projects (that's what I'm telling the wife anyway :D ) and overlooked it. Next time though I will for sure try and make sure to make that happen.

Let me clear up my wording a little on "3rd model". I used to build a lot when I was a kid and then quite a bit my teen years in highschool but not much after my senior year. For quite some time I've been into RC helicopters and since 05 scale helicopters that are pretty decent in size and very detailed. So I've always been building something, but it wasn't until recently that my interest in models was refired due to my oldest son's new found interest in it when he ran across some of my old builds and asked to buy his first model.

Here are some more progress pics of the caddy....

This was the first attempt at doing a textured rag top using 3M adhesive, sealing with primer, and than color coat

ModelCarBuilds003_zps04a51d4a.jpg

Mocked up on it's wheels and test fit of chassis

ModelCarBuilds006_zps5bd5f062.jpg

Pic of the motor after I gave the part of the block and tranny a black wash as well as rubbed the paint a little on so it didn't look new.

ModelCarBuilds011_zps9a31b31e.jpg