Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coping with the curse of kit chrome - need opinions

So then you really can't be sure whether the wheels of your model should be painted or chromed?

I say take the easy way out and leave them chrome. Nobody can prove it's wrong. ;)

As I posted above in the images I showed, the original Caracciola coupe in 1935 (one of 3 built) clearly didn't have chrome wheels, like its later restored and more tricked-out version that I also posted (and was the basis for the Jo-Han kit). The guys at the AACA forum would let me have it for chrome wheels and whitewalls :lol: . I think I'll go with metallizer paint.

Edited by sjordan2

This is from the prewar Mercedes expert at the Antique Automobile Club of America forum...

"I can speak for the authorized agent in the United States which was Mytropia Motors located on Park Ave in NY city. All MB cars could be special ordered, however the lesser models 320 and below tended to be standard catalog versions that Mytropia would have in stock. That stock was not large and I doubt there were ever more than 4 or 5 cars of all models on hand at the dealership at any one time. Mytropia could perform some minor customizations in house. Any and all of the range of models could be custom ordered and i would say probably 1/3 were. As for the 500k/540k models, many were custom ordered. Considering the fact that the cars had to be sent by steamship from Europe in the U.S. this was a lengthy affair. Customers would specify a number of custom touches and order sheets could indicate chromium plated wheel spokes. If you thumb through either Melin Volume I would guess 30% of the 500k/540k cars had them from the factory. That is just off the top of my head from memory."

As for "who would know?" this is a very famous car that was the subject of a feature story in February in Town & Country magazine, about which I started a thread here describing its precarious fate. It has been living for over 40 years in a tinderbox of an exotic car salvage yard in South Central L.A., where the heirs of its owner, Rudi Klein, have rejected all offers for sale and even free restoration. My contact at the Mercedes factory Classic Center, who has been leading the negotiations to buy it, just told me he has given up.

Edited by sjordan2