Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars segments..

I was thinking about how many segments/subjects involving cars and its lifestyles around exist (hot, customs, lowriders, etc). These I know the history. However, when the subject is competition, one of them I have a big doubt is the Drag competition.

Somebody please could explain me the basics and differences between:

ProStreet;

ProModified;

Modified

FunnyCar;

Gasser (This is the one that I have more unfamiliarity)

and any others….

Plus: which period each one was born? Could you pelase indicate some websites for research?

Thanks in advance people!

There are many more people than you who are unsure of which is which. Some of them may have added to your confusion. Some of the confusion is that some of the drag racing classes have been around a long time and have morphed quite a bit. Todays pro-stocks are as fast as a 60s-early 70s Fuel Funny car!

In a nutshell..

Pro/Stock is a stock(almost) bodied gas-burning, carburated, drag car with doors and driver sitting on the left. They started as production cars in 1970 but are all tube frame and carbon fiber now.

Pro-street is not a class but a type of street driven car that resembles a

Pro/Stock

Pro/Mod is a basically a Pro/Stock on LOTS of steroids. Some are supercharged, some on nitrous, huge motors up to 700 CI. Wild bodywork, etc.

Funny Car is a Fuel Dragster shortened with a flip-up fiberglass body. It started as a production based altered wheelbase car in '65 and morphed into Fiberglass flip bodies within a few years. You may be confused by some of these early funnycars looking a bit like gassers.

Gassers are harder to define but basically they are 10% engine setback and gas-burning. Some are supercharged, some are injected and some were carburated. Most were Willys, Anglias, Austins, but most any car could and was turned into a gasser. They had to have a full body. Some had Flip front ends, some had flip-up bodies but all had to have opening doors even if they did flip up. Some pro-stocks were run as gas class cars in the 70s and 80s.

Altereds had 25% engine setback and were generally smaller and lighter. They had a shorter wheelbase and could run without fenders and hood. There were many classes and you could go from AA blown fuel down to Gas burning carburated inline sixes in E/A.

They are many good sights out there. Do a google search. Hope tis helps get you started. Drag racing classes are confusing and it takes a little study to get it all figured out.

Andy did a great overview of these topics. May I suggest you look up the current NHRA rule book on-line for very specific information. More than you may want to know. Historical info could be gleaned from some of the Hot Rod Magazine drag race annuals from years gone by.