Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Ford gasser

I started this a few weeks ago.

This started as AMT's 56 Ford Victoria kit.

Picture001-1.jpg

I cut the stock front suspension from the kit frame, as well as the inner fenders from the body. The new front axle is from the AMT Deora show rod. The springs on this kit go threw the axle, so I moved the springs on top of the axle, and filled the holes.

Picture003.jpg

To mount the new axle to the frame I cut the spring perches from the Deora kit chassis and glue them to the frame, placing a piece of evergreen styrene between the it and the frame, to raise the suspension a little more. You can see the motor in the back ground. The new motor mounts can also be seen here.

Picture002.jpg

The rear suspension is box stock with styrene rear "shackles". The motor is a resin piece from Missing Link, that is a copy of the Revell 64 Thunderbolt 427 fe.

The Interior has two "custom" bucket seats from the kit and the roll bar from AMT's 49 mercury kit. The shifter is from AMT's 51 Chevrolet Bel-Air. Not shown is the steering wheel from the Deora kit with the spoke holes drilled out.

Picture004.jpg

I have an "issue" with the stock grille. There is, what looks to be, a slice out of the top right side, that has been "chromed" over.

Picture005-1.jpg

There is a lot more yet to be done. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Edited by Robert81

OK, here is a small update.

I've got the interior almost finished.

Picture017.jpg

I have to paint the shifter boot, and a few touch ups on the dash.

Here is a close look at the driver-side door panel.

Picture019.jpg

Here is the Thunderbolt 427 Ford engine with Lincoln automatic transmission. I have to find some chrome valve covers, add the headers, accessory drive assembly, distributor, and starter.

Picture020.jpg

You can see where I glued a strip of styrene to the intake manifold to close the gap between it and the heads.

Here is the engine in place with the air-cleaner, One side still needs paint, You can also see where I removed the inner fenderwells.

Picture022.jpg

And last but not least, a body mock up. I have painted the rear wheels "Ford engine red" by Model Masters, with the center hub painted Testors gloss black. I need to paint the lugnut silver. The hood still fits with the air cleaner in place.

Picture021.jpg

This is how I plan to paint the body.

56FordFairlane.jpg

I hope you enjoy. Comments and suggestions welcome.

either way u chosse it will look good so no sweat. Can wait to see the next update.

Yes, it already looks like the real thing! (I'm building a 1:1 '54 Ford Coupe gasser now!) Also modeling the '56 Ford Gasser (like yours, only mine has a tube axle, and will be Wimbledon White; so will my 1:1 '54)

I especially like the stock rear fenderwells you are using. Lends an air of 'fidelity' to style...The factory colors will compliment this in RED! (and black.)

The gathering of minds here is staggering. So many ideas! My favorite breaktime.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

The inspiration for this build, is the fact that you don't see these cars build as gassers. I love the line of the Victoria, so I wanted to keep the body as stock as possible. The colour choice came from a bone stock 56 Fairlane in these same colours, that has been in my home town for years. I had the kit with/out an engine for about a year, then I found a resin repop of the thunderbolt engine on ebay. The gears started turning and here it sits. I got the axle from, stated above, the Deora show-rod, because that is what I had on hand at the time.

I'm glad you are enjoying my build, I got a few things to finish up, then the body goes in the paint booth.

wow it looks great, i cant wait to see when it comes out of paint. I just posted my update today. I will paint mine this weel on friday maybe earlier. Check it out. But back to yours. I like the stance very much i also like that u used the stock wheel cutouts not the flares. I love it, cant wait to see it painted and put together.

Nothing significant, I put the first colour (red) on the body. I have the engine ready to drop in, the Interior is finished, the chassis is waiting for the engine, and I'm working on the steering.

I'm waiting to get a new grille from a friend off another forum.

All in all, I have nothing new to show you, at this time.

This is the last update before final assembly. I was able to get the first cot of red on the body.

The engine is finished a side from choosing the valve covers.

Picture133.jpg

Picture136.jpg

I modified a coolant tank that I found in the AMT Barris Raider's Coach to fit the engine. The headers will be installed when the engine goes in the chassis the last time.

The interior is finished. You can see the gauges and tachometer.

Picture135.jpg

And the chassis is ready for the engine.

side view

Picture137.jpg

Top (or bottom) view

Picture134.jpg

I also got my tow rig today.

Picture138.jpg

I hope you like it.

Edited by Robert81

This is the last update before final assembly. I was able to get the first cot of red on the body.

The engine is finished a side from choosing the valve covers.

Picture133.jpg

Picture136.jpg

I modified a coolant tank that I found in the AMT Barris Raider's Coach to fit the engine. The headers will be installed when the engine goes in the chassis the last time.

The interior is finished. You can see the gauges and tachometer.

Picture135.jpg

And the chassis is ready for the engine.

side view

Picture137.jpg

Top (or bottom) view

Picture134.jpg

I also got my tow rig today.

Picture138.jpg

I hope you like it.

You sure know how to keep a guy in suspense Robert! B) We wanna see the body! We wanna see the body! Engine and chassis are lookin bad! and that's a good bad! :) love them red steelies. Anything special planned for the 50? thans for the hookup, btw :lol:

Edited by Crap'n Blaque

ohh Looking gooood. Nice tow rig. Was gona use the 50 for to but then the 41 fell out of the shelf and hit me on the head so i thpught it would be smart to go with that one. Hope that doesnt happen to often :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Cant wait to see the body. Love this style and your work is great. Glad you made a thread for this one.

Thanks guys. As for the body, I'm using a paint I have no experience with, I got fed up with the looooong drying times of testors rattle cans and bought some Duplicolor. I want to wait a week or so before I spray another coat.

The plan for the 50 is just lowered and maybe a shave. Going to keep the Ardun headed Flattie and the steel wheels. It will be painted red on the cab, hood, box, and wheels. Black on the fenders. I'm thinking a white grille to look like a base model. Load the box with tools and an extra set of slicks. I have to dig the trailer out.

Florian: I think your choice of the 41 Chevy is perfect, considering you are hauling a Chevy.

###### 'n: you are very welcome for the invite.

Thanks guys. As for the body, I'm using a paint I have no experience with, I got fed up with the looooong drying times of testors rattle cans and bought some Duplicolor. I want to wait a week or so before I spray another coat.

The plan for the 50 is just lowered and maybe a shave. Going to keep the Ardun headed Flattie and the steel wheels. It will be painted red on the cab, hood, box, and wheels. Black on the fenders. I'm thinking a white grille to look like a base model. Load the box with tools and an extra set of slicks. I have to dig the trailer out.

Florian: I think your choice of the 41 Chevy is perfect, considering you are hauling a Chevy.

###### 'n: you are very welcome for the invite.

That paint scheme sounds like a winner, Robert! Don't be makin it tooooooo pretty :lol: We won't know whether to lookit the truck or the gasser :lol: I just got a 66 Merky Marky and I'm gonna try some of that DupliColor too. From what I've read on another thread, maybe 'General' (someone was askin about painting) and the majority of guys were sayin they use DupliColor

That paint scheme sounds like a winner, Robert! Don't be makin it tooooooo pretty :o We won't know whether to lookit the truck or the gasser :lol: I just got a 66 Merky Marky and I'm gonna try some of that DupliColor too. From what I've read on another thread, maybe 'General' (someone was askin about painting) and the majority of guys were sayin they use DupliColor

Why not. When we are racing people will look at the gasser and when the race is over they will look at the truck. Rober you are also going with a red box cab and fender and black fenders. So am i. Mine will be gloss black fenders and ruby red metal flake cab box and hood. Nice. Glad to see the gasser is almost done.

• 2 weeks later...