6 replies to this topic

#1 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

Scratchbuilt from mostly brass and some aluminum. The main frame and wipers are brass, soldered together. The upright stays are aluminum as well as the machined hardware. (Even has a washer system.) The C/F is Scale Motorsport Hi-Def. About 40 parts in this assembly.
While it may resemble the standard configuration of a Super Seven windshield, it is very different, especially when you consider the kit I started with uses a little frameless deflector type...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 GTmike400

GTmike400

MCM Friend

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Lawrence

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

Mark, something about this frame looks slightly different than a previous one you posted earlier on another board. Did you decide to rebuild it?

#3 S10man

S10man

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

Superior work Mark. It looks fantastic.

#4 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

Mark,
You, Bill Geary and Jim Drew are pushing the limits of model car building, and it's great to see you share these projects as you go. Fine work, as always!

#5 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:12 AM

Mark, something about this frame looks slightly different than a previous one you posted earlier on another board. Did you decide to rebuild it?

Yeah, after a month of work, and when I thought it was finished, I didn't like the way it looked on the mocked up chassis/body. Nothing really noticeable to probably anyone but me. I knew it would haunt me if I didn't re-do it. Still have the "old" one, just not right for this project. I was able to reuse the uprights and the wiper assemblies, but I had to refinish the uprights. Negligible difference, but worth the effort to me...

#6 GTmike400

GTmike400

MCM Friend

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Lawrence

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, after a month of work, and when I thought it was finished, I didn't like the way it looked on the mocked up chassis/body. Nothing really noticeable to probably anyone but me. I knew it would haunt me if I didn't re-do it. Still have the "old" one, just not right for this project. I was able to reuse the uprights and the wiper assemblies, but I had to refinish the uprights. Negligible difference, but worth the effort to me...

I hear you loud and clear.

#7 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

mark ive seen your caterhams at NNL west a few times and i am always in total awe of them!

i have a 58 lotus seven in real life and i have to say your cats look more realistic than my 1:1 example!

just wanted to get a word in on how fantastic these things look in real life...like you want to shrink down to 1:12 and drive it away!