Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 380 with Heavy Duty Drop Deck Trailer

Hello Folks,

The Old Pete was a very interesting challenge! I had seen some photo's and pictures on Hank's Truck Pictures Web Site of 380 Pete's and Tim had built a 380 as a heavy hauler. This truck fascinated me so I decided to build my own heavy hauler. The basis for the build was a truck that had been fully restored. Having been found a complete wreck, the rear half of the frame and axles having been cut off with the burning torch, missing engine transmission and front axle. All that was remaining was the cab, hood, fenders and the front half of the frame rails. The truck has been fully restored upgraded and ready for work.

The basis for the truck was the the RNK CAB 307 Peterbilt 380 1952 to 1954.

Tim did a tutorial for this kit which I found on the internet and saved.

http://www.silverstatespecialties.com/down...nstructions.pdf

Here is a list of the where the parts came from.

TRUCK

1. Parts from RNK Conversions:

RNK CAB 307 Peterbilt 380 1952 to 1954. Note: the width of the truck over the fenders was increase by approximately 3/8" to allow the wide steer front tyres to sit underneath. The hood was cut up to allow it to open.

2. Parts from wrecked Kenworth from ebay:

Mirrors, Air Horn, Air Cleaner, Cummins NTA 370, Transmission and Sliding 5th Wheel.

3. Parts from wrecked Pete 359 from ebay:

Front Springs, Diesel Tanks and Air Tanks.

4. Parts from International Paystar:

Batteries.

5. Parts from KFS:

All raw materials for the frame etc, Heavy Duty Rear Suspensions and axles (I inserted a piece of 4mm silver steel through the centre of each axle for strength and to allow the hubs to turn. The hubs are made of brass.) Front Axle, Winch, Auxillary Transmission with PTO, Tools, Chains and all wheels

6. Parts from AMT 38167 1928 Lincoln:

Head lights, (These are excellent) Makes the truck look very vintage.

7. Parts from Heller 1:24 Citroen CV.

Wind Shield Wipers. (The head lights on this are superb and will look great on my Pete 351 when I build it).

TRAILER

8. Parts from KFS.

All raw materials, rear suspension, wheels (The rear axles are all steel with brass hubs), Lashing Chains tools, straps etc.

9. Parts from Revell 7530 Heavy Duty Flat Bed Trailer.

Diesel Generator.

This truck and trailer combination looks impressive and gave me a lot of pleasure. So much so that I decided to buy another kit. But when I checked the RNK web site they had gone out of business. Luckily a couple of weeks later I found a kit on ebay and snapped it up. This Pete 380 will be a logging truck.

Thanks for looking.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates