if the way this trailer goes together is any indication of what to expect from the main attraction, the midget, then i am in for a treat when i do one of those. this trailer looks nice, was a bit fiddley but basically fell together. as usual, i did have my own personal challenges, like i tried using some ancient (really...i think the date on it was 1992) matte finish bare metal foil and it would not stick at all. closer examination revealed why: there was basically no adhesive. so the center section is still prone to lift off the surface but the diamond plate image has been embossed into it so thats not a problem, i will slip some elmers in there one of these days and that should hold it down. the side sections that the wheels roll on are done with detail master foil i had around and it worked great though i liked the thickness of the real BMF better. the detail master stuff is very thin and curls when you take it off the backing if youre not careful but at least it stuck!
anyway heres some pics and if you got some extra time and a subject to use on it, these trailers are a refreshing break from getting bogged down in detail and they look great when done.
thanks for looking and any comments questions or criticisms are welcome!
i made a "wood" floor for what is missing from the kit itself which is wide open in this area. i just took a piece of sheet plastic, scored it to resemble cracks between planks, drilled some nail holes, then ran my dremel with a small bit up and down a bit. a bit too much actually and i should have been more disciplined about what i was carving but it is what it is at this point. i layered a few coats of dark woody kinda paint and then sanded down through it and washed it with black. took longer to explain than it did to actually do it!
i also modified what are in the kit wheel bump bars that wrap around the midgets front wheel when its fully on the trailer. didnt want that with the wide body of the kart so i fabbed a short rail extension with plastic strip and it worked great. any imperfections i lay to the welding job.
here is a shot looking up the ramps. tailights, license plate and holder are all out of the box:
loaded up, you can see the trailer almost seems made for the kart or vice versa:
one more this time all packed up with the ramps up and secured by little rods
one other thing i forgot to mention: i shot this all with my airbrush, really my first attempt to cover something of some size. turned out very nice if i may say so myself, even though it is just a flat surface and therefore much easier to achieve than a typical auto finish. but i got it on even, flat, and light, just what i was trying to do. and the airbrush let me get right down into corners and stuff!
Edited by jbwelda, 16 March 2012 - 07:29 PM.