#41 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Bradley

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Excellent build and great craftsmanship !!   I can't wait to see it finished.   Where were you able to got the 2.5 Ferrels for the weber carb stacks ?   I am currently working on six cobras, for a car hauler load.  
   Great work.   Steve Prideaux

Thanks for the encouragement!

I was able to find the ferrules from an electronic supply store. A bag of 100 was going to cost me about $3 but they shipped fed-ex which would have been in the $15 range. I called them direct and worked something out. Depending on where you find them (if your looking), you might want to give that a try. One other thing I learned, those little guys are a pain to cut. Even though they are tin-plated copper and cut easily with an xacto, the blade tends to wander. I clamped a piece of plastic rod, the largest that would fit into the ferrule, into my desk vise and used a un-cut carb as a depth guage to cut them. Then used a digital micrometer, my finger and some fine sandpaper to get them all about the same height. I messed up twice as many as I made so it was good I got lots of them...

Are you going to do a build thread on your team and will they be FIA or USRRC?

#42 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

awsome work , i love it !

#43 Steve Prideaux

Steve Prideaux

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Prideaux

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Andy, Thank you, for the information on the carb tubes.  I will try and find them.     I am using the Monogram Cobra,  three will be 427's and three will be 289's.  I filled in the exhaust holes on the 289's and am using several different types of wheels. I am not sure if they will fit in any sanctioning body's rules.  I had seen a picture of several early cobras on a car hauler, at a race track.  That was my insperation. I am using the Ford cabover, with a sleeper and a modified AMT car hauler  trailer.   I am not very good at down loading pictures, for a build thread.  Thank you again, for the information.  Steve Prideaux

#44 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Andrew

I am realy impressed with your build so far.  I recently completed CSX2026 which recorded the Cobra's first race victory (pictures are posted in Under Glass) but here is a sample.  I am also working on CSX2142 which is the Shelby Teams' '63 Le Man entry (posted in On the Workbench).  I found a great Cobra reference site you may want to check out www.csxinfo.net  Based on what I have seen so far I don't think you need any of my help but if you have any questions maybe I can help.  I have a fairly extensive Cobra library.

Attached Files

#45 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thanks AFX! I've been watching your build and checked out your red one too. I've been itching to get back to mine but right now my life has too many other demands from me, so I am living vicarously through the other builds on this site, especailly the Cobras. I am just building mine in my head till I can get back to the bench. I almost bought the HRM Cobra kit for the AMT but it wasn't the direction I was taking with this one. I did, however, get a pair of the front brake scoops from him (thanks Harold!). I am curious about your oil cooler located on the fender skirt. Which cars had that modification? Originally, I was going to make the #98 black car with the yellow stripes but I was unable to secure another set of the kit decals (they were very thin according to the box art model). So, I found a place in New Zeland that creates decals for slot cars and they had the Executor. I also need to find the little red oil cap decals and a cobra vin plate, though I might try to make them. I was going to try to print the cobra vin plate on BMF and see how that worked out. Would look awesome if it worked.

#46 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Can't believe all the extra added details! 1st Class all the way! 

#47 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thanks AFX! I've been watching your build and checked out your red one too. I've been itching to get back to mine but right now my life has too many other demands from me, so I am living vicarously through the other builds on this site, especailly the Cobras. I am just building mine in my head till I can get back to the bench. I almost bought the HRM Cobra kit for the AMT but it wasn't the direction I was taking with this one. I did, however, get a pair of the front brake scoops from him (thanks Harold!). I am curious about your oil cooler located on the fender skirt. Which cars had that modification? Originally, I was going to make the #98 black car with the yellow stripes but I was unable to secure another set of the kit decals (they were very thin according to the box art model). So, I found a place in New Zeland that creates decals for slot cars and they had the Executor. I also need to find the little red oil cap decals and a cobra vin plate, though I might try to make them. I was going to try to print the cobra vin plate on BMF and see how that worked out. Would look awesome if it worked.

I'm not sure the oil cooler in the fender well is 100% accurate.  Just a bit of intuition on my part.  And since I am currently working on (3) Cobras I wanted to have some variation between them.

#48 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Okay, it's been more than a little while since I threw an update at you.  Time to work on this car was in short, short supply the last few months but even so, I squirrelled away a few minutes here and there.  These are the things I have more or less been working on.  I saw a local contest in 2.5 months is going to be a Shelby tribute so I figured if this thing should debut at any show, that would be the one.  This gives me motivation and a deadline, so maybe this one will be on the shelf soon...

I worked on creating a better looking radiator for her.

DSC03302_zps98ab8835.jpg

I started working with the doors.  Previously I had thinned them more to scale, now I needed to add the missing detail like the door frame.  Once it's in place and painted with a latch and working hinge, It should look pretty good.

DSC03301_zpsfa8ada1e.jpg

DSC03299_zps15d4294d.jpg

I then drilled and filed out the lower control arms to look more like the real car.

DSC03285_zpsf9704c98.jpg

I did many other little things like the lip around the hood and trunk, cleaned up the firewall which will be skinned in aluminum, thinned down the front fender wells, created the water collector/fuel log, started workin on the footwell air ventilation tubes, fuel tank, deeper rear wheels, and test fit, test fit, test fit and maybe some more test fitting...

Engine bay so far

DSC03295_zps6cebfe65.jpg

DSC03291_zps2836039f.jpg

And couldn't resist a wheel mock-up.

DSC03287_zpsd64e57b7.jpg

DSC03290_zps8fd9257e.jpg

#49 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Lookin' good !

#50 Jeremy Jon

Jeremy Jon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy Jon

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Looking good, the detailing will be nice!  So many variations of the Cobra to make, and every one is cool!  :)

#51 James2

James2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:JamesRiesII

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Great detail, looks good so far.