Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pierre Rivard

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Pierre Rivard

  1. Mark, this brush painter ain't going away. There will not be a spray booth in my city condo. I did this in a cardboard box outside on my balcony on a perfect 70F day. I decided to go this way for 2 reasons. First I was unsure if my usual brushed Vallejo primer would have good enough adhesion over a resin body and second I wanted a better white primer underlay to give me a fighting chance with the brushed yellow color coat (the hardest of all colors to brush paint).

    Andy, thanks for the previous advice. I am now starting to understand that resin requires fixes and re-primes. How many times I don't know yet but I now know it is not unusual.

  2. Primer is on. I decanted Tamiya Metal Primer and brushed on the various metal components, then sprayed Tamiya fine primer. I never had issues preparing styrene surfaces i.e minimal fixes after primer but this is a first for me dealing with resin. The primer helps reveal flaws I had not previously seen or properly addressed. Nothing major, mostly dealing with some pitting issues. Otherwise the surfaces are pretty smooth.

     I assume the best course of action is to fix the various little defects and shoot another layer of primer on the repaired areas.


    Alfa wip33.jpg

  3. 14 hours ago, Misha said:

    I was able to get back to the workbench over the weekend to get a bit further with the MGB build. I had a quick look at the body before priming it to discover I had missed openings in the front and rear valances. Referring to photos and using two small drill sizes they were added and two existing openings in front were modified to be rectangular.  




    In assembling the stock bucket seats a rather unsightly seam in the back was covered with piping as well as around the seat cushion. The seats required a lot of attention due to prominent mold seams. Additional sanding was needed to soften hard ridges along the seat back. Small details that help the overall scale look. 


    While looking at the photos and comparing the kit chassis I couldn’t help to notice some omissions on an otherwise great curbside chassis. 


    The most obvious were the two cage structures on either side of the rear end. The one housing the battery is a square blob and on the other side it is absent save for a slice of plastic. I decided to do a minimal fixup without attempting a complete rebuild. Using Plastistruct lengths of angle iron the blob has been outlined with greater definition. Not sure if I’ll tackle the empty cage on the other side. 


    The other item is the void between the block and the bottom of the rad. 


    Searching thru the parts department I assembled the parts that will fill the gap and offer a refinement to the curbside look. The cut down rad from another project fits perfectly while the pulley/fanbelt assembly needed to be pulled in tighter to fit. Fortunately the generator will fit right into the stock position filling in a gap. The fan also needed a trim to fit the engine bay. 


    To finish off I primered the body after a through wet sanding with a  600 sponge, dry time and a dusting with an anti-static brush. Quite happy with the result so tempted to move onto the colour coats. 


    I’ve switched the the LP Tamiya paints for most of my air brushing, yet I will need to mix up a colour match as a light shade of blue isn’t available. Going to begin with a small batch while noting the paint ratios before mixing a larger amount. 


    Thanks to Andrew, Gary, JC, Phil and Mark for checking in on the build. Getting back the bench, cheers Misha



    Whoops, some extra photos…






    Beautiful work Misha. This car looks cool and I love the the content you are adding to replicate the racing car as it was then. A most worthy entry to the 64 Sebring field. Thanks for sharing.

  4. 16 hours ago, MarkJ said:

    So true, Pierre. We shall see in about 6 months or so if it's like one of my typical builds. I am not very fast, and I make a lot of mistakes that I have to do over. Like just now on the rear taillight panel. Trial and error as always. mostly error. I owned one of these baby's back in 1984 so when I saw the kit, I knew I had to do something with it. It was a 305 Z-28 but it was not very fast. But it had a nice sounding exhaust system. It looked a lot racier than it was. I doubt if it would get over 90 miles an hour.

    Brings back memories of my 86 Z, black on black, 305 manual. Beautiful and fun to drive but just ok on power. I had two gen 4's, a Z-28 and then a SS. Definitely faster but they did not look half as good as the gen 3 car.

  5. Very, very, very impressive work. With your research, design expertise and 3D printing you have basically redesigned the whole kit.

    You could market this as a trans kit... or a complete kit as I doubt very few original parts are left.

  6.   I think you are right Andy. The engine looks much better on your Alfa kit. The lower part of mine is molded into the chassis pan, making cleaning and finishing quite difficult. I noticed the wheels on mine are a bit twisted and the thread pattern is uneven. 

       I'm still quite happy with the kit and excited about topic I am modeling. The long tail Alfa Le mans just looks so nice! I'll do my best to make a good model of it. Look forward to see what you do with Mr. 42 but it could take a while as you've got a lot of projects on the go.

  • Create New...