Search the Community
Showing results for tags '62 ford galaxie'.
Okay, this has got to be one of the most boring looking drag cars ever posted on here but I needed an early Ford super stocker to round out my 1/25 collection of early 60's super stockers and in '61 - '62 they were all pretty unsexy. This model was intended to reproduce 1 of the 11 "factory lightweight" super stock cars with the new 406 cu. in. V-8's and dual Holley carbs that Ford had Dearborn Steel Tubing Corp. make from bone stock stripped-down Galaxy sedans. NHRA made them classify these cars as factory experimental because of all the non-factory-optional mods such as the fiberglass and aluminum body parts. Here's a good link on the background history: https://www.dragzine.com/features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-62-ford-galaxie-406-lightweight/ I used this Mecum auction posting as a"walk-around" reference: https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-312672/1962-ford-galaxie-500-lightweight/ This is my first attempt at kit bashing a resin body (Jimmy Flintstone) to an injection molded kit, in this case the ‘60 Ford Starliner. This is also my first attempt at DIY decals and I made a point of selecting a monochrome decal subject due to the cheap HP inkjet printer I had available. It’s been an education for me working with resin and I have even greater appreciation now for the beautiful resin builds I see posted here - it’s not easy! Lot's of casting flash, very rough uneven inside surfaces, really heavy and variable wall thicknesses, it's a testament to the strength of these Flintstone cast parts that I didn't break anything while cleaning them up. The AMT '60 Starliner interior and chassis fit this resin body with very little required in the way of modifications. I scratch built the windows using .005” clear styrene sheet and it worked out okay for this subject, at least for the two sides and the rear, the front windshield ended up a little too recessed. I used Tamiya TS-54 light metallic blue lacquer for the interior and airbrushed the base paint on the body using an original factory color, Corinthian White, which I ordered from Scalefinishes.com and clear coated it with Tamiya TS-13. Far from perfect but good enough to provide an early example to add to my early sixties super stock collection. I promise to build a prettier one next time! Still not tired of building these classic old SS'ers! Cheers, John