Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Model Master (Testors) Semi-Gloss Black

Has anyone tried airbrushing the new Model Master Acryl semi-gloss black #FS27038.  For about the past 5-6 years I have been airbrushing frames, floor pans, wheel wells, etc. with Model Master Acryl semi-gloss black #4700 with great looking results.  When I start spraying this new formula it isn't long before it starts clogging up the spray tip and eventually I have to stop.

When I recently ordered a couple of bottles of this product and it arrived with new labeling and product number and I didn't think anything about it.  I thinned it the same as I always have and have not been able to get the same results I was getting in the past.  I did find some vendors referring to a "new formulation" but nothing else about it.

I have emailed Testors but have not received a reply yet, so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Been using their enamel Black Chrome Trim for many years with no problems. I honestly don't know how I modeled for 20 or 30 years before it came along. (I thin the enamel with cheap lacquer thinner.) It brushes pretty well, too--at least from a fresh or fresh-ish bottle.