Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '55 Chevy Cameo pickup windshield problem

The kit windshield id about 3/32" too small around its perimeter to fit in the body shell. I can't get enough points of contact to even get a dry-fit without it falling through. Has anybody else had this problem? Does anybody have a suggestion for dealing with this problem? I am an airplane modeler with limited experience building cars and trucks.

Adios, Larry.

Common problem on that kit, especially the later issues. The windshield on that kit is not correct to the 1:1 on any of the issues of it, though. The top of the glass should actually sit 3 scale inches back from the edge of the cab roof, like this

You could make a filler strip to correct it out of styrene.

Larry if you are an aircraft modeler you should have canopy cement.  I filled the gap with it, and once it dried, I painted it flat black (Tamiya acrylic) to represent the gasket.

I painted the gasket on the glass with a Black Sharpie. I tacked it where it touched with Formula 506 Canopy Glue and used the same stuff to fill all of the gaps when the tacks dried. I wiped the excess off with a damp Q-Tip. I'm pretty satisfied. Adios, Larry.