Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gravity Colors with other Primers and Clear Coats

I recently picked up some Gravity Colors primers, paints and clear coat and wanted to know if anyone has any experience using other primers and clear coats besides the Gravity Colors brand primers and clear coat.  Their products are amazing(you should try them if you haven't) but on the pricey side and being the bottles are relatively small I didn't want to waste them testing the paints with different primers and clears.  I typically use Plastikote sandable primer and get great results with other paints(model master, vallejo, tamiya, testors, etc.) and was wondering if anyone has experimented using Gravity Colors paints with other primers and clears?  Thanks!!

Paint is paint. It's either solvent based (lacquers and enamels) or chemical based (two part urethanes, BC/CC, etc.). What is the Gravity Paint based on? What do you thin it with?

Plastikoat sandable grey and Duplicolor sandable grey should both work well under any of them. You may also want to check out fingernail polish. It is lacquer based and sprays very well when mixed with lacquer thinner. It sprays over both primers beautifully!

Mark

Thanks Mark!  Gravity Colors are solvent based paints and they are pre-thinned for airbrush use.  I had a feeling I could use a durable primer like Plastikote or DupliColor but was wondering if anyone had experimented with these paints.  I appreciate the input and will have to give nail polish a try as well, I've heard good things but never tried it myself.  Thanks again!

Just be careful with the pre-thinned paint. If it sits for very long the thinner will evaporate out, even if the bottle hasn't been opened... I stay away from the pre-mixed stuff just for that reason.

Mark

Good to know, I've only purchased about 8 colors and plan to use them all within the next year or so on my next builds.  Was going to buy some more but will hold off for now.