Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arrow Peterbilt 386 and 378

I started these two around the 6th or 7th and have been slowly plugging away at them. They are based on two units for Arrow Transportation out of Canada.

I started with two Italeri Peterbilt 377 kits, a resin 386 hood from AITM and a resin 378 SBFA hood from Spauldings.

386378daycabs41008.jpg

The rear walls were made from Evergreen plastic with the larger rear window. The 386 will be a 2008 and the 378 will be a 2004.

378and38641708.jpg

Originally the 386 was to have a black bumper as my inspiration photo showed a black bumper. After seeing all the other 386's that Hank Suderman had photographed - they all had yellow bumpers, I decided yellow would look better.

386yellowbumper41908.jpg

Here's the 386 frame on the tires. The kit frame had 2 inches removed from the wheelbase. The removed section was used on the 378.

386rollingframe42008.jpg

Here's the 378 chassis after adding the length and bolt detail.

378frame42308.jpg

Here's the 386 almost done. Still to be added is deck plating, a photo stick, trailer hoses, back of cab handles and the Arrow logos.

386onbench42208.jpg

Here's the 378 with the cab resting on the frame.

378rollingframe42408.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Tim

Edited by mackinac359

Tim,

They both look great, love the color, and I agree on the nixing the black bumper, though it covered very well.

Would love to see a better pic of the cab gaurd if you get a chance. Curious, Is that silver paint around the doors, or do you use something different, they always turn out perfect.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

Tim

Tim

I stripped the black paint off the bumper before painting the yellow so I didn't have to spray a dozen coats to bury the black.

The cab guard is from AITM.

The silver around the doors is Bare Metal Foil. After applying and cutting it, I coat it with Testors Dullcote to give the shiny BMF an unpolished aluminum look. I had tried painting the door jambs a long time ago and that ended in a mess.

Tim

Tim,

Your attention to detail is awsome, they look so much like the real thing, it is quite hard to tell that they are just a scale replica. If I didn't know any better, I would think you had just hand polished each one of the rims.

On the 386, are the headlights real, painted, or a decal, I just ca't tell (kinda like on NASCAR).

Also, might I metion that your lighting is perfect, you cast a perfect shadow, not multiple or blurred, and the different background showing on each shot just helps drive home the realism. Nice job on all of it!

Tim

phenominal, is all I can say, and again I think you should edit the update to Phil Jensens book, as i told you before.

I started the can do wrecker, and found out a few paint tricks to make it look more realistic as well.

You once said the rims/tires from AMT kits used in your tire cage model were wrong, what do you use for rims and tires now?

can you help with instrutions to add a tag axle I want to stretch a frame and add one on a Mack that my intent is to put a lowboy and either dozer or backhoe and supplies on

bill d.

• 2 weeks later...