Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1927 T & XR-6 Vintage Kit

Mirada

I was absolutely thrilled to see the post from RancheroSteve about his in-progress AMT XR-6 glue-bomb restoration project. I'll be anxiously watching for more updates on this one, and I suspect RancheroSteve is going to end up with a WAY better final build than I could ever manage.

The AMT 1927 Model T and LeRoi Tex Smith's XR-6 custom roadster double kit was the first "real" model car kit I ever got, for Xmas of 1965 or '66. Previously only had built some curbside Lindberg kits. I was only eight at the time, managed a fair build of the Model T, but totally butchered the XR-6. It was a challenging build for unskilled fingers. The body is a 6 piece assembly, the rear suspension had no mounting pins, I was brush-painting the body...well, just a tough one all around. 

Years later when I returned to model building, I was determined to re-do some of the kits I had (but mangled) 'back in the day'. Still doing so. Pre-internet, I got my mitts on several glue bombed and partial AMT Double Kits, determined to build the stock Model T, the "Wild Tub" version with that very cool Frontenac OHC engine, and once and for all, do the XR-6 with an adult's patience. Armed with more than one kit, I figured I could finally get that multi-piece body together cleanly and have a separate body-less version. 

I finished these about 10 years ago, early on in my return to the hobby. They're nice and sturdy, but reveal that I'm still learning. (And that I can't take a decent photo!) The Wild Tub matches the box art. The stock Model T is close, though I took some liberties with the paint colors for the interior and canopy. The XR-6 followed photos I could locate in old Hot Rod magazines as best as I could figure out. All parts are original, with no 'cheating' needed (though I had to cherry-pick use-able pieces from different mail-order and swap meet partial build and partial kit versions to end up complete.)

I'm doing the same thing now with the AMT Ala Kart Model A kit, trying to do the Ala Kart with a separate body-less version, and then do each version of the stock and hot rod/custom options. We'll see how that goes!

XR-6 27 T Group Shot.jpg

XR-6 A.jpg

XR-6 And Tub.jpg

XR-6 B.jpg

XR-6 C.jpg