Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junk Yard Rescue AMT '66 Mustang

Dusted1972

Greetings all

Over the years,I have acquired already built models from yard sales,or online auctions and some were damaged beyond repair (cracked warped bodies,etc)that they were used mostly for parts but others that are pretty bad but restorable that had some warps from too much glue,or covered in a very bad paint jobs and had some parts missing and some of these were also my own I built as a kid when I just mostly threw them together after a quick paint job with the good old cheap Testors spray enamel.I didn't have the heart to throw these away and I have a few of these I plan on doing and pIan on mostly doing a basic simple build with them.No expensive after market parts,or crazy wild detailing like brake lines, but with mostly using parts from the parts box,and paint I already have.Of course this could change lol I may put some plug wires or something I don' know yet.I dont have any pics yet but the Mustang already received a 2 week long bath in the purple stuff to remove as much of the nastiness as possible.I did break some parts disassembling it but I will get to that.After removing the paint,there are many areas where the glue was applied so heavily that it made warp spots that look like dents in the body.For now,my attention will be on fixing the body.

Edited by Dusted1972

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates.Holidays and stuff ,lol.

The following are pics of the body after the purple bath and a bit of sanding.You can see the warps and dent from the over gluing.Most of the warps are in spots where glue was applied very heavily.After some more sanding ,a light coat of primer ,I flat sanded it with a emery board and a small sanding block I made that has 180 on one side and 320 on the other to block the larger areas like he trunk and roof to reveal any more warp spots.I filled the spots with putty ,blocked them down and sanded as much glue as I could from the body and gave it another coat of primer and a mist of  black for guide coat..It's not going to be perfect since there are small spots I couldnt get to very good.One spot being on right near the 289 emblem on the fender.The headlights were glued in so much I had to carefully drill them out which is fine because I may use lenses instead of the chrome headlights that come with the kit. Sorry about the some of the blurry pics.

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Edited by Dusted1972

• 2 weeks later...

You are a much better man than me for tackling such a project. I am going to restore an old built up I did of the same car as a slump buster. I love those first generation Mustangs.

thanks.I try to challenge myself when I can. This may be a first of my rescue series.I have a couple more waiting to be rebuilt.:)

Edited by Dusted1972

I hit some snags with this.One,the weather has been horrible so I'm unable to do any painting.And 2,I'm not sure I want to use the hideous box stock AMT chassis with the molded in exhaust and suspension. so I'll be digging around to see what I can come up with. 3,I'm debating what wheels to use.And 4,I'm having second thoughts about the engine .ugh.But if I can't find a replacement chassis,I'll just stick with the box stock chassis and make it look the best I can.I mean it's not like I'm going to put it in a show.Just mostly a simple shelf model for display.I may just put this on hold until I decide and the weather gets better so I can paint the body.While this is on the back burner,I may start on another project.

I hate when simple things turn into not so simple.

Plus,this is my first build in 2 years.I'm a bit rusty.lol

Edited by Dusted1972

I hit some snags with this.One,the weather has been horrible so I'm unable to do any painting.And 2,I'm not sure I want to use the hideous box stock AMT chassis with the molded in exhaust and suspension. so I'll be digging around to see what I can come up with. 3,I'm debating what wheels to use.And 4,I'm having second thoughts about the engine .ugh.But if I can't find a replacement chassis,I'll just stick with the box stock chassis and make it look the best I can.I mean it's not like I'm going to put it in a show.Just mostly a simple shelf model for display.I may just put this on hold until I decide and the weather gets better so I can paint the body.While this is on the back burner,I may start on another project.

I hate when simple things turn into not so simple.

Plus,this is my first build in 2 years.I'm a bit rusty.lol

I would use a the New tooled (90's) issue 67 Mustang GT chassis or the AMt 67 Shelby GT 350 Chassis. they fit right up and under the 66 right nicely, and the Engine is really nice with great looking Top Loader 4spd Trans. Just a little work on the tunnel area and the 66 interior tub will set right in.

Edited by Fast Floyd 2
incorrect grammer

I would use a the New tooled (90's) issue 67 Mustang GT chassis or the AMt 67 Shelby GT 350 Chassis. they fit right up and under the 66 right nicely, and the Engine is really nice with great looking Top Loader 4spd Trans. Just a little work on the tunnel area and the 66 interior tub will set right in.

I have a chassis including the rear ,front end and complete exhaust from the Revell 69 Shelby GT-500 on the way.It's a 1/25 should fit of course there is always some fitting,modifying,and cutting  involved lol.I have the AMT 67 Shelby GT-350 but I plan on building it and really didn't want to cannibalize it for parts on this.Besides,if this chassis doesn't work,I can always use it on something else.

This wasn't supposed to go this far I was just planning on using the one piece box stock chassis but eh,seeing that it's my first build in years I wanted it to be a bit more special. :)

Edited by Dusted1972