Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor City's 1973-5 Ford Econoline van

Eshaver

Motor City; the company who took on Tom Elifret's Econoline van :

This is a "What's in the box look at Tom Elifrets 1973-5 Ford Econoline LWB van .

I watched Tom closely as he took AMT's 1976 Econoline and reversed it to what we used to refer to as a "Bull nose " Ford in the 70's . This is one van I know inside and out as I have worked on the 1969-74 Ford Econoline extensively . I've also over the years been able to collect options seldom ordered on the actual trucks simply because I have been an avid fan of them .

I got into vanning myself back in 1972 with a 1970 SWB Econoline E-200 . Equipped with a 240 six , C-4 automatic and a AM radio , this was my entry into a lifestyle that I enjoy today .

The model Motor city offers is of a typical 1973-5 Econoline with a Long wheelbase and the "Folding " side doors along with no cost option rear cargo glass . Buying a van then really was a myriad of choices abet limited . . Ford no longer had the side cargo door option of either NO side door , or cargo doors on BOTH sides as this was usually reserved for the "Camper set " . However , new for 1973 was a "Sliding " side door option and this was also a "No cost " option . These could be had with "Pop out windows " on the side door . Pop out windows were also considered optional for the rear cargo doors as well.

Moving inside , the dashboard represents a radio as lockable glove box doors were optional on the vans where a radio was deleted . Seating was also a pair of seats with the passenger seat being optional , or a "Flip fold " Jump seat , or a like driver seat . Motor city offers the Econoline with a pair of standard low back seats with bases . YOU, the model builder can probably scratch build the "Flip fold Passenger seat yourself ". Air conditioning was indeed offered and the duct work ran down the Driver's side . this too is something you would have to scratch build as well as the "Dealer " add on A/C units made to install where the radio was located .The Motor cover- was made to replicate those used on Ford's optional 302 V-8 . I mention this because when this van was in production , I was manufacturing Drink holders for these vans and the Six cylinder box was vastly different in that it was square at the rear to accommodate the 240's longer head .Thus , the deck was different and the passenger had a scoch more room as the box was angled to give the extra room to the Right .

The Transkit is molded in a White resin that is as smooth as any polystyrene plastic kit made today ! The photos I have taken are just as it's packaged in the box .

Looking underneath , even the chassis parts were expertly back dated so as to show the earlier "I" Beam suspension used under these vehicles. Red Tail lamp lenses were included in a Polyethylene bag as is a vacuum formed windshield .

Also included are a NON Chromed Bumper/ grille assembly along with the rear bumper . Very little is really needed from the AMT 1976 Econoline Van in which the earlier Van is designed to combine with .

Enjoy reliving the era of "No Gas " as you build this van folks . For me , it represents a time of reliving my career as a van accessory manufacturer , wholesaler, retailer . I owned at one time five of these vans in several guises and both wheel bases .

Econoline 1_zpswgvfthyn.jpg

Econoline 2_zpscbz7ln4m.jpg

Econoline 3_zpsrz8stusg.jpg

Econoline 4_zpswcg5oet2.jpg

Econoline 6_zpsvejpqw8b.jpg

Econoline 7_zpsmd9xu9pv.jpg

Econoline 8_zpsfhdywwcs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, EShaver! Here's the kit built up and converted to a window van. I'm working on another right now that will be a work truck (with the sliding door). As you can see, the grille takes plating very well. I used the 1/20 kit a lot in guiding me on the master, as I didn't have access to a real one. My hat's off to Motor City, as they did the vacuform windshield...I had nothing to do with it, and it fits very well! 

DSC_0069-th.jpg.1a0d924e31f5f8dc21d9a657aa513275.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, gray07 said:

love it, I been a vanner for awhile now, I drive a 1975  dodge shorty with cragers on it during the summer.

I use to own one too but mine was a factory custom think it was a (Goodtimes) conversion..?  I loved that thing wish they could bring back those old MPC kits of those so I could make a replica of it.  The Ford van is very cool to..!

Edited by disabled modeler

Mark, I used to live across the street from where Good Time vans were built . What kind of a van did you have ? I can probably scrounge up the parts from van kits if that is all you need .  For what it's worth, I'm also personal friends with Dick Nesbitt who was a product engineer for them in the day . He  and I go back to the van era as I was a parts manufacturer myself ....