Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya AMG GT3-12th Annual 24hr of Daytona Group Build

Jhedir6

This Saturday, the 27th of January will be the start of the 2018 24hrs of Daytona. It's also the start of the 12th Annual 24hr Group Build. This will be my third year participating and this will be my entry

20180110_172755-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

There wont be any updates till Saturday afternoon, but they'll come quick once I get going. This will be an OOB build with some tire decals added in cause the plain tires look off to me. I might add in some PE seat belts too pending on how my build progresses throughout the day/night time. If there's some extra time come morning I'll add in some extra details, if not, box stock it will be.

If anyone is interested in joining, or just following along with what's being built you can log into FB and check out the thread HERE.

Thanks for looking in and hope you race fans will be enjoying the race too.

13 hours ago, Shunter said:

I always think you guys are nuts doing this, i have trouble seeing what i need to see now, but working at something around the 12 hour mark forget it....lol I wish you luck and this is a killer kit so enjoy the build.

Thanks Shayne.

So yesterday I had a brainstorm..or something similar, and decided to alter my build a little bit. I'll still be using the AMG GT3 kit but it will now be a Tribute build to Dan Gurney. I'll be using the AMG as a base for a "throw back" type livery. I'll be doing a Phantom GTLM team using a Gurney Livery in remembrance of Dan. More details a little later today. I need to get the bench cleaned off in prep for the Race/Build.

Last year's even had 193 participants, this year we're at 221. So there's still time for anyone interested. More info HERE.

So I ended up switching back to the Presentation car instead of the Gurney Tribute. I decided that I was going to have to do some masking and didnt want to spend the extra time on it for a 24hr build. I'll still do the Gurney car, just at a leisurely pace.

So here's a few pics of my progress over the course of the race so far, they're in chronological order, although I didnt take as many as I should have along the way.

Colour is from Gravity Colours, Selenite Grey Magno

20180127_142355-vi.jpg

20180127_165613-vi.jpg

20180127_165639-vi.jpg

Grille was sprayed with some Gravity Colors Anthracite black straight onto the chrome. After setting up for about 20 mins I took a toothpick and rubbed off the ribs I wanted to be chrome. Simple, but worked like a charm.

20180127_170257-vi.jpg

I painted the rad assembly with Vallejo Liquid Chrome and then accented it with Tamiya panel line accent (black).

Wheels were painted with Gravity Anthracite black and detailed out with Goodyear decals and goodies from Powerslide. ( I know, they dont run Goodyear's on these cars, I just wanted to detail the wheels instead of leaving them plain black. I have a couple sets of the goodie sheets so I wanted to use up some of the Goodyear logos.)

20180127_185925-vi.jpg

Decals on and car about to head off the the booth for some matte clear from Gravity. I still need to matte varnish the tire decals too.

20180128_025621-vi.jpg

20180128_025650-vi.jpg

20180128_025718-vi.jpg

More shortly. Thanks for looking in.