Model Cars Magazine Forum

22 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

Yes I have lived in Council Bluffs, IA all my life and know the area very well.  Was that a factory W30?  If it was, only 16 were made in that body style.  Would be a nice car to have today   

Yes sir, it is my understanding that it was a factory W30 ........ and I was told that it was originally sold through the Olds dealer in Council Bluffs (that's where I got some replacement parts for it), the buyer couldn't make the payments , took the car to Lemars, Iowa and hid it in his grandfather's barn, it was tracked down and repossessed and then sold at auction ...... that's how the dealer I bought it from acquired it ..... I paid $1,885 for it in April of 1968.

Edited by Old Coyote

John, that Council Bluffs dealer was McIntyre Olds Cadillac

Another Council Bluffs new car dealer was Floyd Hughes Chevrolet.  I do know of a 1966 Chevy Biscayne 2 dr post, dark blue ordered with the 427 425 hp engine, M21 4speed and 4.10 gears for dealer inventory.  Local guy raced it.  It is now restored and in New Zeland.  

Edited by johnwitzke

10 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

John, that Council Bluffs dealer was McIntyre Olds Cadillac

Another Council Bluffs new car dealer was Floyd Hughes Chevrolet.  I do know of a 1966 Chevy Biscayne 2 dr post, dark blue ordered with the 427 425 hp engine, M21 4speed and 4.10 gears for dealer inventory.  Local guy raced it.  It is now restored and in New Zeland.  

Thanks for the memory jog. I couldn't remember the name of that dealership to save my soul. But then again, it's only been 50  years since I was there.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:54 AM, W-409 said:

Wow John you've had some fantastic cars during the years! Needless to say that my favorites are the '60 and '63 Impalas, do you have more pictures of them? Especially that 1960 looks just right as it is.

Here is a picture of my '60 Impala.

No sir, that's the only picture I have of the '60 Impala .......  that picture was taken in 1965 and I had to borrow my parents camera to take that shot ...... I didn't own a camera until I was in the Air Force and could afford to get one at the Base Exchange. Your '60 looks quite nice, you've done a great job on it.

Edited by Old Coyote

Found these pictures of a '61 Corvette I owned for a while ........... started out as a 270 horse 283 ....... but was the engine was later built for drag racing by Kelly Chadwick ........ after racing it for a couple of years I tried to put it back on the street with the racing engine still in it ........... didn't work out well ....... the pictures show it where it sat most of the time ...... charging the battery from trying to spin the 13.5:1 compression engine

61 Corvette 2.jpg

61Vette-900.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote

I found some more old photos of some of the cars ..... they're not great pictures (as they were created by taking digital pictures of old paper pictures) ........ but at least you can get a somewhat blurred image of the cars

The 1978 Blazer which pulled the pop-up camper trailer (they were painted to match)

1978 Blazer & camper.jpg

The 1984 Bronco II which pulled the motorcycle/ATV trailer (after I had sold the '78 El Camino)

1984 Bronco II & trailer.jpg

A side shot of the 1972 Corvette

1977 Corvette.jpg

A side shot of the 1977 Trans Am Firebird

1977 Trans Am.jpg

A couple of pictures of the 1978 Super Sport El Camino

1978 El Camino 1.jpg

1978 El Camino 2.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote

On 2/21/2018 at 9:38 PM, High octane said:

The last car I had bought in the 60's was this Bee from the legendary Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago.

image.png.340ebe820ae5d62ad8a31baa08d91414.png

Wow Nick ....... that's a couple of polar opposites ....... a Super Bee and a Corvair ..... a couple of nice cars ..... and that '60 Pontiac was quite a "land yacht" ..... I know because I also owned a "yacht", a 1968 Buick Wildcat 

Edited by Old Coyote