Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 Chevy Impala

Oldmopars

Some time back I got this kit from the Goodwill for $6. It looked OK at the store, but when I got it home I found that it was a partial glue bomb with a few parts missing. The person who had it had glued the engine together with too much glue and done a poor job and even glued the water pump on up side down. The truck insert was held in with a massive glue blob that left a huge chunk behind when I pulled it apart. The front suspension was partly missing and the rear diff was gone. Other than these things the kit was all there and unassembled.

I was able to get the front suspension parts I needed from another member here. (Thank you gardnerpag44) However I did not know I was missing the rear diff at the time. So, I dug through my parts box and the only diff I have is for a 80's Ford T-Bird. So, I cut out the center and put it in the Chevy axles. I know, I know, sacrilege. But, it fits and looks fine.

Due to the trunk plate being destroyed and the fact that the kit has a spare tire well, but the tire is sitting flat in the trunk, I cut out the floor and removed the spare, then will remount it over the spare tire well molded into the base.

I am dropping the ride height and putting on some Torq Thrust style wheels from another kit. I am going for a mild custom-daily driver type car. Paint as of right now will be a red lightly sprayed over a silver base to get the Candy look. I did it with blue on my 359 Pete and I loved the look. Interior will remain factory with the red check pattern.

Overall, I am very impressed with the quality and details in this kit. A very well done and fun kit to build. The details are really amazing even with the few flaws it has. 

Anyway, here is the start.

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

Edited by Oldmopars

Well I found more parts missing. No carburetors, no air cleaner and only left side exhaust. So, it is getting the carbs from a MPC corvette as well as the air cleaner and I think I will have to convert to single exhaust, or try to find a set of Lakes pipes.

Its too bad so many parts are missing or ruined, it is a really nice kit.