Model Cars Magazine Forum

Funny car rear tires

Brandon17

I've seen people post that they were using the rear tires from newer funny car kits for there 70s funny car kits. I bought a set of current funny car/top fuel tires from slixx and was wondering if anyone else has used them for there 70s funny car. How did they look? When I received the tires they took alot of sanding to true them up. Anyone else have this problem too or did I just get a bad set? Thanks guys.

I’ve got those comp resins tires too and mine’ll need a ton of sanding too.  Personally I think they are too big for 70s cars, although a lot of people use them for that.  I’ve used Stevens International repops of the Revell one piece 70s slicks but they seem a bit small...Rhe pix are not perfect for this discussion, but the Pinto has the Revell repops, and the Mustang II has the big AMT slicks.  

C32806DE-A95B-41BD-9121-54D27F47D6CB.jpeg

CD276222-79F6-4D56-8764-B0FFA18A4786.jpeg

34C2955C-D9ED-44D7-A6EE-76F4E9A6347A.jpeg

E935B088-35ED-4971-A757-83B37633A925.jpeg

The tires that I have always recommended to use are the modern slicks from any of the Revell T/F or F/C kits. They fill the wheelwells perfectly, IMHO, and the kit rear wheels still fit inside them. Some of the Comp Resins tires that are sold through Slixx would most likely be too large as they better represent the most modern era rear slicks for T/F, F/C, Pro Mod, etc.

Here are a couple of examples of what I've used. 

DSC04902-vi.jpg

DSC07820-vi.jpg

Picture100-vi.jpg

Like Wayne, I use the later Revell slicks  and the Comp Resins slicks for the Revell funny cars. Some of those bodies have huge rear wheel well openings and the kit tires look grotesquely small inside them. I sand the tread area of both types of tires with a sanding drum on a Dremel motor tool.  I use the CRT501 slicks and CRT504 wrinkle walls.

BlueSnow3.jpg

CH05.jpg

GE2-2.jpg

DT12.jpg

Miller2.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote

First of all so many awesome builds guys. Thanks for the info. Getting back into building again so I really appreciate the info. Have Don Schumacher's super shoe vega and Pisano & Matsubara monza on the bench right now and wanted to get an idea on what everyone is using for rear tires since the ones with the kit seem too small.