Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Aston Martin DBS

gijoe

This build stalled out for a while, but I've resurrected it, and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it.  I ha ve a tendency to break hood hinges, and this build was no exception.  The repair isn't perfect, but it turned out decent enough.IMG-4048.thumb.JPG.0f192527b1491aed12b5bffe109120bc.JPG

IMG-4086.thumb.JPG.5e8eae10585d1758db1f667bedf869b9.JPGIMG-4052.thumb.JPG.0b6b0e927e11da8154a9cb74493596f4.JPG

I was a bit worried about being able to build up this corner without it breaking, but after a push from a couple of members here, I tacked the project, and it was much easier than expected.  As long as you give the cement enough time to dry it'll hold very well!

Here is the final product for the hood repair, not perfect, but satisfactory for this build. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.960951f55477457de5529be27860c509.jpg

The paint was a bit of a problem on this build, I found a rattle can of Rustoleum Enamel that was a color I liked, and I figured I'd decant and spray it from my airbrush.  The paint would work well at first, then start to splatter the longer I sprayed.  I had a lot of trouble getting the right air pressure, and paint consistency right, needless to say, I wouldn't recommend using this stuff.  I was able to polish it out fairly well, but it wasn't worth the trouble.  

IMG-4045.thumb.JPG.a400c0066cde26e84439ead333ef2799.JPG

Edited by gijoe

Looks great so far.

I've had the paint splatter before too, in my experience, it was due to build up on the needle point that I didn't regularly wipe away, and it v only happens with 'rough paint, where the pigment isn't finely ground.

I wonder how you have a knack of breaking hood hinges! There's got to be a back story to that... I'm intrigued!

Coming together well!

14 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Looks great so far.

I've had the paint splatter before too, in my experience, it was due to build up on the needle point that I didn't regularly wipe away, and it v only happens with 'rough paint, where the pigment isn't finely ground.

I wonder how you have a knack of breaking hood hinges! There's got to be a back story to that... I'm intrigued!

Coming together well!

Thanks, I don't plan on using the rustoleum stuff again, at least not through the airbrush for bodies, lesson learned. 

I tend to handle the pieces a lot more than most people.  I scrub with toothpaste, and wash with dish soap several times throughout the paint process, the extra handling leads to broken hinges.  I get a bit obsessive about inspecting my work, so after ever coat I tend to remove the bodies from my stand and give them a thorough inspections, and I rewash after ever time I handle.  I'll be posting some photos of my MKII Jaguar in black, paint jobs like this make the extra handling worth it (I broke a hood hinge on that one too, haha).