Model Cars Magazine Forum

Updated rims at Darlington

Seann Anderson

aero wheels.....used by almost all the teams....shop tires usually have a groove in the to keep them off the track...there are two companies that make rims for the top three series....Bassett and Aero...although next year may see different kinds because nascar is going to an 18inch rim versus the current 15inch one...

I don't think so, because the laser testing uses a wheel plate that is mounted like a dirt car uses to keep mud out of the wheel.  I haven't seen this kind of stripe on any of the wheels, so I couldn't even begin to speculate why or what it's for (if anything). I've researched Aero and Basset rims and they don't show any with the wide florescent stripe.....but!  if you look close, the 24 team's rims have the same wide stripe in blue...oh...and if you look, these are Aero rims....you can tell by the arrow shaped decal on the rim....I believe NASCAR only allows Aero or Basset rims, I don't think any use American Racing.....

Edited by Mikey56

1 hour ago, Mikey56 said:

I don't think so, because the laser testing uses a wheel plate that is mounted like a dirt car uses to keep mud out of the wheel.  I haven't seen this kind of stripe on any of the wheels, so I couldn't even begin to speculate why or what it's for (if anything). I've researched Aero and Basset rims and they don't show any with the wide florescent stripe.....but!  if you look close, the 24 team's rims have the same wide stripe in blue...oh...and if you look, these are Aero rims....you can tell by the arrow shaped decal on the rim....I believe NASCAR only allows Aero or Basset rims, I don't think any use American Racing.....

I'm under the impression that they don't allow American Racing wheels anymore either. They were pretty hot in the early-late 90s. I always thought that the holes in the rims were unique compared to what was used in the past. I've always struggled to figure a way to apply those blue/red stripes due to the placement of them in the wheel. 

one way is to paint your wheel, then get a small mirror or pane of glass...."paint" the glass with a thin coat of the color of your choice....holding the wheel flat in relation to the glass, press it down and lift rapidly, but smoothly and it will leave a very thin color line around the outside of the rim....for the inner "ring", get a round sanding stick and lightly sand a thin line around the inner edge where you see the ring is...then you can use paint, or in my case a sharpie, and color this think line.....gives you a good realistic look.....don't forget that if your doing a "race used" rim to wash it with flat black (thinned to just give a hint of color) to represent the brake dust.....

just my way of doing things!

Edited by Mikey56

A really easy trick I learned from someone that works very well, especially when the wheel is molded in white, is to take a good razor blade and carefully scroll around the rim where the angle changes below where the rim meets the tire. If you carefully angle the blade you should be able to scrape the paint off with little effort and it leaves a near perfect white ring around the wheel. Then use a red or yellow or whatever colored Sharpie to color the line. The Sharpie won't smear or runoff when you clear it. It puts the ring inside the wheel a bit which is a more accurate look I think.

4 hours ago, Hurricane21 said:

A really easy trick I learned from someone that works very well, especially when the wheel is molded in white, is to take a good razor blade and carefully scroll around the rim where the angle changes below where the rim meets the tire. If you carefully angle the blade you should be able to scrape the paint off with little effort and it leaves a near perfect white ring around the wheel. Then use a red or yellow or whatever colored Sharpie to color the line. The Sharpie won't smear or runoff when you clear it. It puts the ring inside the wheel a bit which is a more accurate look I think.

This is what I do except I use a hobby knife.  If the wheel is not white, I will paint it a flat white. 

The trick that I have found is to use the blade at a very shallow angle to the wheel - like about 60 degrees.  The more vertical the blade is to the wheel, the more likely it will dig in or gouge the paint.  The last thing is to wait until the black paint has thoroughly dried.  If the paint is not thoroughly dry, it will likely chip in places and you no longer have a clean line.  As another board member writes from time to time - "don't ask me how I know".