Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printing model car parts

I've seen a few threads pop up in the past, but haven't seen anything discussed lately, unless I've missed them.

Is anybody working on anything?

I haven't done anything in 1/25 but I did print some wheels for a cheap 1/16 rc rock crawler.wheels.thumb.jpg.f3e67c09982af61ba0639717ebec74fb.jpg

Edited by henry57

6 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I hope you do not mind but what is your setup and cost involved with the printer? The wheels look amazing by the way. 

I ask because down the road I want to purchase a 3D printer.     

im at 470$ but keep in mind i spent 600$ a year on just parts one year but i also can draw most of my own parts. the hard part is finding parts but i started a massive 3d parts repository thats updated once a month. i mostly cater to larger wheels and lowriders but im moving closer to having 1/25 wheels from 13" to 34" and some components in between. i also started with a team of artists to help them bring 3d cars to the printable realm.

Have a printer myself.

Have a nice little side business going from it printing custom car badges and things. Unique one off stuff.

Can't wait to get stuck into making stuff for kits - but my 3D modelling ability to actually design the stuff I fear will wind up letting me down :( 

For example, really want to make things like steering wheels and bucket seats. I love converting my road car models to converted race cars but my built up stash of spares is dwindling!