Model Cars Magazine Forum

More carpeting options

There have been a couple of posts about "carpeting".   I have a few things in my repertoire depending on what I am trying to achieve. I started out with Ken's Fuzzy fur (or equivalents). For plush style carpeting, this still a good choice.  I also have used some peel and stick materials with varying degrees of success.  Next I moved on to embossing powder. Normally I will use white and then paint the final carpet color on it. But sometimes, if I can find the color I want, I will get and use it.  For carpeting in closed top (especially chopped), where the carpeting i barely visible, I apply a fine textured paint. Again, I will apply the textured paint (masking off the spots where seats/consoles/etc. will be. Then I will either paint or leave be.

In the photos below, you can first see the application of the textured paint. This is some color variation, but some carpeting would have that. I likely will not paint this further given it will be in the chopped wagon.  Following is a photo of the interior of a Ferrari SA Aperta where embossing powder was used. I also crafted floor mats, so the carpeting is even less visible.  Finally is a photo of a 50 Ford Convertible done in the late 90's where I used the "traditional: fuzzy fur.

I think we all have techniques that work for us.  I have even seen some kits where the molded in carpeting was good enough to just paint over.  The one thing, to me, that I don't want is out of scale materials.  I think that detracts from the effect and overall model.  I am not recommending any particular approach, just presenting the techniques that have worked for me.  One thing on thi forum, and others, is modelers presenting different techniques and approaches.  If one is comfortable with one, give it a try.  

112527252_3293890037502077_5159973823087

109733021_3293890150835399_6544532758806

116061608_3293890367502044_7999190078548

109953728_3293890574168690_4870808391990

Edited by Exotics_Builder