Model Cars Magazine Forum

can't find paint what are some choices?

Well since walmart no longer stocks models or any model paints I have no clue what to do.. I went to the only crafty type of store around called "ben franks" and picked up a 71 cuda (a guy on here has recently completed the same kit but I want mine grabber green) but anyways.... I hear talk of people using an "acrylic" paint? I went to walmart and back in crafts they have a nice viriaty of them and for decent prices for the size of the containers... but will they work well? I think people on here mix with rubbing alcohal or stuff and thin the paint to use or something???

I just need info... being new to this all again I'm lost since I always depended on grabbing some little glass containers of paints beside the models at walmart... and also what spray paints are able to be used on models?? (oh and I only mess with plastic models) I need that special lime grabber green for my cuda.. but for now I'm just using the few containers of paint I have to work on my F100

You should get paint online.

http://www.plastic-models.com/ has a great selection of paints. If you like, you can also Google "model paints" that'll give a good place to start.

If you really want to replicate an authentic factory color for your model cars an airbrush is almost required. You can get spray cans of authentic colors from MCW.

Hope this helps

Jameston

Well since walmart no longer stocks models or any model paints I have no clue what to do.. I went to the only crafty type of store around called "ben franks" and picked up a 71 cuda (a guy on here has recently completed the same kit but I want mine grabber green) but anyways.... I hear talk of people using an "acrylic" paint? I went to walmart and back in crafts they have a nice viriaty of them and for decent prices for the size of the containers... but will they work well?

There are several ways you can go. First of all, forget Walmart. Try a hobby shop! They'll have way more of a selection of paints than any Walmart ever had!

Just to keep things simple, there are three basic types of paint you can use (there are really more than three, but just for the sake of simplicity I'll keep it to three):

1. Enamels. Widely used, large selection of colors. Pros: Available at any hobby shop, lots of colors. Cons: They're ######. They take WAY too long to dry, they tend to be hard to apply smoothly, especially if you're using spray cans. Orange peel, drips and runs, etc. No real reason to mess with these. Best advice-Don't use them. They're yesterday's news.

2. Lacquers. Pros: also a large selection of colors, incredibly fast drying, go on smooth, polish out beautifully. Cons: None. Try them, you'll like them!

3. Acrylics. Pros: same as lacquers but don't smell as bad (they're theoretically "non toxic"). Cons: Also none.

Bottom line: stick with acrylics or lacquers. If you're into factory stock, try DupliColor automotive touch-up paint, available at any auto parts store. Huge selection of colors, they go on great, dry fast, and look fantastic! Personally they're the only paints I use to paint bodies with. Even if you're not specifically into factory stock, check them out. They come in a wide variety of colors.

In reality there are many more types of paint...urethanes, epoxies, acrylic enamels, etc. It's enough to make your head spin. But try a lacquer or an acrylic. I can almost guarantee you'll be pleased with the results. If you need more info, go to your local hobby shop and ask... they'll be glad to help. Or try a can of DupliColor from the auto parts store.

Just to be safe... some lacquers can attack plastic, because of the "hot" solvent used. Use a good primer first as a barrier between the plastic body and the final color coat.

First of all thanks for that link! I don't really want to order paints and stuff but I will for sure be picking up some things from there especially in the Diorama department :)

Yeah only problem about forgetting walmart is there is no hobby shops around lol.. I went a decent little trip to this "ben franks" place that didn't have anything and their acrylics for the little tubes were $4 each and their color selection.. was terrible.. lol not even any normal colors it was strange..

there is a hobby lobby... but thats over 190+ miles round trip with no other reasons to go that way ;)

now acrylics what types are there? i know you mentioned against any enamel basically but walmart does have a large selection of some acrylic paints??I know you said forget it but my only other option is to order stuff.. and of course when I'm up around hobby lobby I'll make sure to take a lot of extra cash to stock up on things

Edited by B-dub

Other possibilities for paint.

Most auto parts stores have Dupli-color or some other brand. Big box stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, K-Mart, and Pep Boys also have paints in many varieties. The Ben Franklin Crafts store near me has paint and supplies.

For factory colors, try touch-up paint, but its expensive.

Try the hundreds of variations of acrylics at Hobby Lobby and Michael's. They are dirt cheap and easy to work with.

Some builders also use nail polish, with its great variety and many pearls, metallics, etc. They'll take some practice, because they're lacquer. Practice makes perfect. Nail polish is cheap.

Have an open mind.

Gary

Model Empire has a nice selection of paints that you can order through their catalog or website . I use nothing but Testors enamels with excellent results. I airbrush with a Paache H series gun and use garden variety laquer thinner that you can purchase at you local hardware store to cut it with at a two parts paint to one part laquer thinner ratio.The laquer thinner helps the paint to flow better , dry quickly , and you lose none of your trim detail . The trick is to use multiple whisper thin coats not two or three heavy ones to achieve a nice gloss and depth of color. You don't want to use automotive laquer thinner as it will turn your model into a puddle of plastic. If you are looking for grabber green , "lime green ? " , Testors sells a color called Sublime green which is dead on for the 70's era colors .

Feel free to email me anytime with questions about paint at www.oldmansmodels.com , I know a little about the subject . By the way , welcome back to the hobby !

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting