Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASCAR Kit Question

Clay

Ok I got this kit from Raul Perez a while back and decided to try it out.

WCWNascar001.jpg

My question is, how would I do the paint? The transition from purple to yellow? I got these 2 kits off of eBay not too long after getting the kit,

WCWNascar002.jpg

WCWNascar003.jpg

WCWNascar004.jpg

If you look closely you can tell where they taped off under the decals. I want to try not to have that.

This is the team mate to this one. It looks worse than the other one.

WCWNascar005.jpg

WCWNascar006.jpg

So how would I do this?

Guest 66dragfreak

You can mask like that and not have that sharp line under the decals Clay. The best way to avoid the color line is to sand the tape line down to smooth the paint.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will most likely need 2 sets of those decals in order not to have the purple bleed through the yellow decals. The key is to just take your time and go slow with it.

Clay,

I do paint jobs like these all the time. It's not as difficult as it looks. A couple of ways you would do this. Do what the gentleman did or you could photocopy the decals and make a stencil out of the photocopy and transpose it to tape. I would spray the yellow down first and then tape the areas you need to be yellow and spray the purple. That way you won't have the bleed through of the purple going through the decals. It's time consuming but it works great. The biggest issue I see is trying to find a yellow to match the decal. Hope this helps.