Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grump's First Nova

papajohn97

19 hours ago, Metaldrumm said:

Looks pretty good ,but i dont understand your exhaust set up ,overall nice work!

Yes, the AMT instructions related to the exhaust are pretty ambiguous. Stock class NHRA rules in ‘66 required the stock exhaust and muffler(s) to be intact and any performance headers were allowable but they needed to be routed thru the stock exhaust. Open bypasses were allowable so as long as the stock exhaust pipes are connected to the headers up near the engine, it should be legal. In hindsight, I probably should have connected the dual stock exhausts to each header near the header outlets (“the open bypass”), much like the Moebius ‘65 Plymouth SS and A/FX kits.

Bill Jenkins was notoriously secretive about his race cars, I was never able to locate a reference photo of the underside of this car so who knows what the headers and exhaust system actually looked like.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:40 PM, papajohn97 said:

Yes, the AMT instructions related to the exhaust are pretty ambiguous. Stock class NHRA rules in ‘66 required the stock exhaust and muffler(s) to be intact and any performance headers were allowable but they needed to be routed thru the stock exhaust. Open bypasses were allowable so as long as the stock exhaust pipes are connected to the headers up near the engine, it should be legal. In hindsight, I probably should have connected the dual stock exhausts to each header near the header outlets (“the open bypass”), much like the Moebius ‘65 Plymouth SS and A/FX kits.

Bill Jenkins was notoriously secretive about his race cars, I was never able to locate a reference photo of the underside of this car so who knows what the headers and exhaust system actually looked like.

Good work buddy!