Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restoring my first-updated 5/23/09-replacement pix

This is the 1991 re-issue of the AMT R Model Mack, and is the very first truck model I ever built. I snatched it up as soon as it hit the shelves. Having recieved a copy of Phil Jensen's now infamous book, I remember wanting to try everything in it. I did add some trailer air lines. A few days after buying the Mack, I bought AMT's Amoco Tanker trailer to put behind it. All went well until it was time to use my airbrush. It worked well on the truck's frame, but malfunctioned afterwards. With that, I ended up brush painting the cab and hood. The color is Testors dark blue on the original. This rebuild has been long overdue, so here's some b4 and during shots.

OlBlue.jpg

OlBluesparts.jpg

After the purple bath, I concentrated on painting the cab and hood. This was a nightmare, too. I couldn't seem to find a white paint that would cooperate. So two repaints later, here it is with just the white. It's DupliColor Gloss White.

100_0111.jpg

The truck is going to be white and blue when finished. The blue areas will be the cab roof, and the fenders. I did modify it just a little. I shortened the frame to give it more of an east coast look. I'm just going to make this a typical fleet truck, as I originally intended. In the foreground is a full-length AMT Mack R frame for comparison.

100_0140.jpg

I changed the wheels out to 2 hole Budd wheels from AITM. They fit the AMT tires perfectly. I did use the smaller 10:00x20s for this build, instead of the 11:00x20s in the kit.

100_0117.jpg

The other modification I made this time around was to go with the shortened bumper.

100_0134.jpg

As to the trailer, it's long gone, but I do have the suspension for it, which will be going under an incomplete AMT tanker I got on ebay. Thanks for looking.

Edited by FlatbedKW

What's goin' on...

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you!!! I know of a couple fellas that drives OTR that would build model trucks in the bunk. I sure how what ever you've got the CSC in stays sealed in the truck. That'd be a mess if ya hit a pot hole or hooking to a trailer and that stuff spilled all over the interior B)

Thanks guys. So far it's been fun to rebuild minus the paintjob.

Yes I'm in my "mobile office" :rolleyes: . The pix where you see the cab in white, were taken on my upper bunk which was folded down. It only looks messy because I was working. Normally, everything is in boxes and bins, and packed very tightly. The way the top bunk folds in a Pete is into a sort of "L" shape, rather than flat against the back wall like in KWs and others. That makes for a great storage shelf, and where almost everything rides. The only bad thing is when I want to work on something, it's like trying to find something the first night you move into a new house. I try to keep things grouped together, so it helps. As for spills, I did have one jar of paint tip over and the cap unscrew, but it was contained in a box, so no mess thankfully.

Ray,

Interesting project. I have a restoration planned for my first truck build since I got back into building model trucks. One thing that I have not worked out yet. How do you seperate the parts (Once Glued) without damaging them?

Good Luck with the project.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Dave, the chemical we often refer to as the "Purple Bath" will usually weaken the bond between glued parts. If it soaks long enough, you can work them loose with minimal or no damage. Then again, that depends on the glue used, and whether or not the joined surfaces were kept free of paint. If painted surfaces were not scraped prior to gluing, the parts separate easier. If you(or the pervious modeler if restoring someone else's built-up model) cleaned the areas to be glued pror to cementing, there is a stronger bond. Often times, they will separate, but sometimes, they won't. Careful cutting near joints often helps to start, and then you can separate by hand.

The bumper on this Mack and a few other parts gave me that very problem. The bumper wouldn't separate from the frame, so I got the idea to go with the shortened bumper since it was being painted anyway. Often times, this is more of a headache than removing the paint, as it will try your patience. Good luck on your restoration.

Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

"The Purple Bath"??????? :(

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Dave, I was stuck on that name for awhile. I read of many modelers using it on the forums, calling it the "purple bath", but never knew what it was for a long time. The "purple bath" is Castrol Super Clean, although another name for it that I've seen is Purple Power. It's an automotive parts cleaning agent(there's probably a better description 4 it) that a lot of modelers here use to strip paint from a model. It also softens glue bonds. It's pretty safe to use. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be where you live. It comes in a big plastic jug and the chemical is actually purple in color. It's one of those things you should wear gloves to use.

:)Further progress has been made on this truck. I spent the weekend working on the chassis and engine. Most of the assembly is done. I still have to finish painting the cab and hood. I will probably shoot the blue areas b4 the end of the week.

We'll start with the shortened driveshaft. It's the kit shaft cut with the ends stuffed into a snug fitting piece of K and S brass tube. I figured it might add a little strength rather than just cutting it and gluing the remaining ends. Just a neat idea I thought I would try.

100_0177.jpg

and the finished product..

100_0179.jpg

Here's a shot from last night showing progress to that point.

100_0154.jpg

The tank support bar for these square tanks was broken on both ends. So I drilled the front of the tanks where the forward support mount goes. That seems to have helped.

A mock up shot from the rear.

100_0183.jpg

You may notice 2 weathering attempts here, involving the tires. First, the mismatched brands of tires. The Firestones on the forward drive axle are shaved down and weathered for a well-worn look, including the left outer tire being cupped, while the rear axle tires are brand new GoodYears. I've often seen the rear drives wear down first, and many fleets will just replace the 4 on the rear axle first.

Another mock up shot.

100_0182.jpg

The green on the radiator was from the original build. It was my attempt to replicate spliied antifreeze. I'll fix that.

Thanks 4 looking. I hope to have this one done soon so I can take it home. I'll be starting the trailer soon, I just wanted to get the tractor further along first.

Over the last few days I've been working with the paintjob. Tonight is the first time I unmasked the white to see how it came out. I think it turned out well. I have some touch up 2 do, but I am pleased with the results. The masking was done with Parafilm M. This is my first time using it. I like it. Pretty crisp with not too much bleeding if you lay it down right. I didn't cut as straight as I thought on the hood.

100_0185.jpg

Here you see the first shot with the trailer. It's just the tank itself propped up. The color is Model Master Aluminum Plate buffing laquer. I need to buff it some more, but I thought I would show the eventual direction I'm going with this mock up.

100_0186.jpg

Note:Since these pix were taken, I'm doing one more coat of blue on the hood, thanks to a screw up I made :P:P . Hopefully I can have it finished as far as painting it tomorrow. Thanks 4 looking.

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm carrying an oversize load, and not allowed to drive across New Mexico on Sunday, I spent today working on the trailer. This meant chasing a lot of parts from the spare parts box, and a lot of sanding, but here is a mock up of the trailer on the truck.

On the original, I made front fenders from Evergreen corrugated sheet. I constructed front fenders for this trailer using spare fenders that are from other AMT Fruehauf tanker kits.

250142478213_0_0.jpg

I still have to make the upper supports for these fenders. They are supported from below with stretched sprue supports like I did the first time. They go across the frame to both fenders.

250143092741_0_0.jpg

:P

Here is a front shot. I still have some touch up and final detail painting to do to the cab.

250143237381_0_0.jpg

8-) :lol::P

As to the trailer, the tank needs some sanding, and another coat, as well as a coat of paint on the frame. This was an ebay trailer, assembled with no paint, just far too much glue, resulting in broken parts during the tear-down. The suspension from the original trailer is under this frame now. Thanks for looking. :lol:

Edited by FlatbedKW

• 4 weeks later...

made a little progress recently. Mostly just small detail items. It's not too far from completion. I decided to play with the camera the other day and replace the horrible pix that were here originally.

Here is an overall view. The K broke off awhile ago, but we've all seen that Mack that was missing letters.

100_0287.jpg

I may redo this, but I had to add the raincap. It is a Mack after all. ;D

100_0295.jpg

My first use of baking soda as a "rusting agent". The shiny flex pipe is supposed to represent one recently changed.

100_0289.jpg

Here is the trailer from the rear. The placard holder was scratchbuilt. The blowout damage to the fender was done by heating it

100_0288.jpg

A little more of the trailer. Plaskit cones, and a holder from scrap plastic. A mix of worn and new tires are part of my weathering.

100_0291.jpg

I hated the 3 pix that were here, so I replaced them. Thanks 4 looking.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Hi Ray, long time no talk to.

You're doing a great job on the rebuild so hang in there. I've never done a rebuild but can imagine that they could be a hair puller. That's probably why I have never done one because I don't have much hair to pull out anymore.LOL

Take care and be careful out there.

Win

Edited by airhorn

Hi there Win. It's most of the way done. I'm wanting to finish it so I can leave it at home, and press on with my other projects.

Rebuilding is actually quite fun, it's just annoying when those hard-2-find parts break or get lost. Then you have to make the decision as to whether or not you wish to raid a fresh kit. It's not so bad if you're modifying the truck, or using it as the platform for a conversion kit. Other than broken missing parts, I wish I had saved my old builds instead of dismantling them. It would be fun 2 rebuild them now.

• 1 month later...