Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. White Freightliner COE & Fruehauf Dry Van

Hey everybody, I am just starting to delve into the hobby and have taken a liking to big rig building. I am currently working on the AMT White Freightliner, and intend to pair it with the Fruehauf Van. I will update as I go, but all of your builds inspire me, and I am definitely learning!

IMG_9626.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 8:39 AM, LHuffman47 said:

what are your guys' best practices to fill gaps?

Depends on the size of the gap. For bigger gaps, strips of Evergreen plastic can be used first to help fill the gap between plastic edges. After sanding that down, filler putty can be used to fill the rest of the void and bring surfaces flush. Repeat if there are still holes and dips. I’ve found that after sanding putty smooth, applying a coat of super glue afterwards helps minimize putty shrinkage and fill any pores in the putty. Lots of sand paper in between and after each step. Good luck, chassis looks great. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Depends on the size of the gap. For bigger gaps, strips of Evergreen plastic can be used first to help fill the gap between plastic edges. After sanding that down, filler putty can be used to fill the rest of the void and bring surfaces flush. Repeat if there are still holes and dips. I’ve found that after sanding putty smooth, applying a coat of super glue afterwards helps minimize putty shrinkage and fill any pores in the putty. Lots of sand paper in between and after each step. Good luck, chassis looks great. 

Lucas ,

The above is a great suggestion. In addition to that. I usually put a narrow thin strip of plastic on the inside of the cab. To help strengthen the cab .

For the plastic to fill the gap Also on the inside you can use super glue to help hold the cab together . I use thin plastic rod. And use Tenax 7 R or other type of plastic solvent to melt the rod to fill the gap. And and then putty and sand again.

You have the makings of a nice model here. keep up the good work !

Be Well

Gator

• Like 1