Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cleaning the Dust Off

Hello there. I'm wondering what's the best way of cleaning the dust off my models? I've got four KS models that are sitting pretty on little shelves, and they look great on display. however, they are collecting dust. What is the best way for cleaning the dust off them?

I have previously rinsed them in water, but that sometimes would soften up the decals that havn't been clear-coated, and would leave water spot's when the water dries.

I've thought about an air compressor, but that will really rip the unprotected decals right off.

I have a solution for die-cast models, but I don't think it'll work the same on my plastic models.

How do you guy's clean them? I know, I know, I need to invest in some display cases to keep the dust off! I might look into that this week. But mean time, what's the best way to clean it?

I've already noticed on of my KS window banners coming apart. In future builds, can I clear coat over the window to protect the window-banner decal?

Thank you Dave, but I like to use something that's available in rattle-form. I doubt Future is.

One more thing, is it the dust that eat's up the tires, or just the dry climate? Although it hasn't really been dry this year, we are typically a dry climate. A lot of my tires tend to crack over time. Would the display cases help prevent that?

Edited by FujimiLover

Okay boy's and girls. Today I invested in four separate 1/24 scale display cases purchased at local Hobby Town for nine dollars + change.

What's the best way to clean off the dust on the models? I've found that baby-wipes work great on die-cast, but how will it effect plastic model kit's painted with enamel's?

Can I use the same method as I do on my die-cast's?

Edited by FujimiLover

Okay, models' dusted off and put in cases! Will post pic's soon.

Baby wipes seems to work good for plastic models as well, just be careful with wipers and window banners. My KS 928's window banners have already gone pealing off and the rear ones have split and half. Will have to spend time scraping them off and redoing them. Fortunately, the KS window banners are universal items. I will deal with the 928 at a later time.

But for now, all four are protected! Hardest one to get in place was the Diablo do to it's width and propping up the rear engine lid, but is all done!

Here are my four KS models "under glass" for real!

DSC09746.jpg

Here's a close up of my KS Competition under glass. These display cases are very well made and once model is in place they seem to be very air-tight. You can safely pick up the case without worrying about the base falling out of the clear shell.

DSC09747.jpg

I think at $9 buck's each it was a worthy investment for these well built cars. I'll have to get four more when I do my other KS models.

Edited by FujimiLover