Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to remove 40 yr old brush paint from a body.

gus220

Ok guys, after a 35 yr absence of not building kits, I've come across a few oldies but goodies that have brushed on green metalic paint from the 60's that I did when I was a kid. Is there a best way to remove the paint without disturbing the feature lines or an easy way that works best? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

i have found castrol super clean to work great on old thick brushed paint. starts visibly working within a couple hours and about a day in the pond followed by mild toothbrushing and the body is clean. it WILL remove body putty though so be aware you will probably have to redo any bodywork.

Let me add to the recomendations for Castrol Super Clean. I have used it to remove the paint from several vintage models from the 60s, from old Model car kits, to vintage Strombecker,Eldon, Russkit etc. Slot Cars. Most were painted with enamel paints, and were over 40 years old.

CHEERS!

I've used Easy Off, it seems to work well. Just make sure You use the original formula, not the "No Fume" version. Also, I've never had any real luck with generic versions myself. I did use some stuff from my hobby shop a few years back.

I believe it was called ELO Easy Lift Off. It worked but it was $$$$$$ for a small can.