Model Cars Magazine Forum

official farm truck buildoff

I was going to play too... but it seems like the premis is not totally understood as to what a "Farm Truck" actually is. B)

DontAsk-vi.jpg

I understand it as being a full size truck that was once used on a farm, and that now is retired, or still being used as a farm truck. In the picture you have above, that could've been a farm truck at one time, and then the farmers son used the truck to haul his racer...

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring on this one! This will be my first group build, I guess I'm a lone wolf builder usually! Here's what I got:

000_0054.jpg

I am gonna rag out this old Chevy! I haven't weathered in a long time, so this should be fun! Getting all of my items together and should be getting to it by the end of the week. Progress to follow..... :lol:

Jake,

I would like to join in on the Farm truck build. Here is my entry.

STA70371-1.jpg

Hope its not too late to join in. I see Marshall's is almost finished, and looking great.

I hope to try some new techniques on mine, I never tried the weathering thing but always wanted to give it a shot.

I will get started on it later tonight, still trying to round-up a few more goodies.

Thank you, Ron

Edited by RJWood

Nice job Custom Hearse. that farm truck looks as if it could give a cow the ride of its life. I have not done any more work on my build. still waiting on parts and being paralyzed has its disadvantages. I can only stay in my wheelchair for a couple of hours. the rest of the time im stuck in bed. I did replace an o-ring in my airbrush so I can spray the truck. and I bought some o-rings to simulate airbags. if anyone has any 1/25 scale big rig chrome rims and tires and other assorted parts let me know.

I see Marshall's is almost finished, and looking great.

Thanks Ron! I had a blast building it!

Nice job Custom Hearse. that farm truck looks as if it could give a cow the ride of its life. I have not done any more work on my build. still waiting on parts and being paralyzed has its disadvantages. I can only stay in my wheelchair for a couple of hours. the rest of the time im stuck in bed. I did replace an o-ring in my airbrush so I can spray the truck. and I bought some o-rings to simulate airbags. if anyone has any 1/25 scale big rig chrome rims and tires and other assorted parts let me know.

Thanks Jake! Sorry I went through so fast with this build, it was just so much fun! I'll still keep an eye out for everybody's builds.

Yeah, ol' Bessie won't go near the truck after her last trip into town... Scared the skin right off of her! On the plus side, I did get a nice leather coat out of it... :D

Anywhoo... Here's the interior pics:

The interior

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

Hope you like it...

Edited by Custom Hearse

Hey, Hearse, great job so far. Tell me about the bed. The wood looks great. Is it simple paint washes or something else.

John

Believe it or not, it's a Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker. It works really well on plastic. I use a base coat of flat white paint, and the just mark it on. I've had people tell me that it'll never dry, but it dries nice and glossy.

Hi all,

Looks like some great stuff going on here.

So far I'm having some fun with this build, I have cleaned up the mold lines on the cab, filed & sanded out the back side of the grill to open it up, and put on some primer on some parts. here are a few pics I took of my progress. ( not much so far)

STA70373.jpg

You can see the grill opened up in the pic.

STA70374.jpg

After the pics were taken I scratch built a fuel filler neck and installed it on the truck cab, and started work on the chassis and front suspension.

For the last few days I have been fighting a bug, I think it is the flu. Hoping it is not the swine flu. But it would be appropriate to have the swine flu while doing a Farm truck build. I feel OK its just the constant runny nose that is driving me crazy.

Keep up the good work guys, they are all looking great.

Ron.

I was going to play too... but it seems like the premis is not totally understood as to what a "Farm Truck" actually is. :rolleyes:

DontAsk-vi.jpg

I totally agree, I have a couple of candidates floating around that could be used for a "Farm Truck" build, but I'm not totally clear on what entire concept is.

It is about time there was a build off for old farm trucks large and small, forgotten wrecks to barn find restored pieces. even a modified car hauler from a grain truck or something. I will be converting the amt 1950 Chevy pickup into a 2 ton flatbed dump truck. more than likely it will be stock but i do want to bag it with the straight front axle and install stacks and chrome rig rims.

THE RULES

1. Must start with untouched kit or one that is just starting.

2. must be trucks from 1920-1980

3. (Optional)write up a short story about the vehicle(life of truck or found and restored type stories.

4. must be fullsize truck. no minitrucks or imports

5. conversions to larger sized trucks are encouraged.(1/2 ton turned into a 2 ton. or regular truck turned into wrecker.)

6. must post pics of progress

7. the deadline is april 1st. extra time will be allowed.

LET THE BUILDING BEGIN!!!!!

Fletch,

here are the "rules"

Its perdy much open to interpretation. If you want to cut the back half of a '58 Chevy Impala off, and add a truck bed to it I think that would be acceptable.

Anything that might have been used as a farm truck (an old mule).

Sure would like to have you join us Fletch, or anyone else for that matter.

I would like to see more modellers join in on this. So c'mon guys, join us and build a Farm truck.

Thanks, Ron

Okay guys, I'm back! Flu had me down for a little while but I'm back at it today! Let's take a look at what I'm up to:

Here are my wheels weathered

000_0082.jpg

Here's my chassis

000_0083.jpg

Engine completed

000_0087.jpg

Drivetrain installed

000_0088.jpg

Here's a teaser shot of the cab weathered, told 'ya she was gonna be beat up!

000_0084.jpg

That's all for today, interior work tomorrow, so stay tuned!