Model Cars Magazine Forum

1989 Regal

Harold

Well, thanfully, 2009 is in the history books (and what a crappy year it was). I won't bore y'all with the details, but last year took its toll on me. Now, I'm in a new place, my workbench is set up, and I cranked this out in about two weeks. It started as a promo, but I made a few little tweaks. First off, I didn't like the ride height or the stock whitewall/ wire wheelcover combo. So...I removed the wheels, propped the car up on some coins (two quarters and a dime in back, two quarters in front) and epoxied this really nice wheel- tire- brake combo (I'll get back with you on the manufacturer) in place. After the car was disassembled, I polished out the body with my polishing cloths, Turtle Wax polishing compound and Black Magic wax. The chrome was all tarnished and worn, so I redid it all with foil and did a black wash on the grille. The taillight received the foil treatment as well, and the window trim was masked off and painted with Polly S Steam Power Black. The Regal emblems were foiled, and I did a wash with Polly S Lehigh Valley Red, which is a perfect match for the maroon plastic the body was molded in. I also mixed up some Lehigh Valley Red and some dark green with a touch of black to flow into all the panel lines. So much for the body. The interior received a lot of paint detailing, along with scratchbuilt turn signal stalk and shift lever and a set of keys from a Detail Master interior junk set and some custom mixed flocking. I plan to make a spoiler like the one on my 1:1 Grand Prix, but, for all practical purposes, I got one finished.

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Edited by Harold

Thanks guys. As for the wheel/ tire combo, the set was made by a company called XS. I found these at Riders in Flint and immediately knew they were perfect for this car. My preference in wheels usually involves the five- spoke design. I think six- spoke wheels look tacky (they remind me too much of those horrid 'wagon wheels' peole were putting on their pickups and vans back in the '70's). However, I like the 7- spoke design.

Edited by Harold