Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

96 Chevy Dooley

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Starting another one. I want to keep this one as close to stock as possible. In time it will be pulling a Galaxie tri axle Gooseneck. I need some help deciding on paint, as the trailer will match it.

AK000039-8.jpg

Posted · Report post

Hey James,just send it to me...paint problem solved :lol::lol:

Posted · Report post

No, cuz the problem with you is, you don't like to paint, so it'd just sit for a few years. :lol:

Posted · Report post

Well, if you don't want to send it to Joe, you could send it to me. It would look good pulling my Galaxie trailer! :lol::lol: On the serious side though, are you planning a small race team with it? You could paint it and the trailer to match the car if that's the case.

Posted · Report post

No, show hauler. I got a few different builds I can put with it. Plan on building a LARGE display case for it and have a little dio set up.

Posted · Report post

Can you give some particulars on what you'd like it to look like maybe I can help they built these trucks in the next town for over 50 years now. needless to say I've seen a few.

Posted · Report post

Just something that looks good, but nothing too dark.

Posted · Report post

I saw a '93 GMC dually yesterday in a lightblue with the wheels grey with the plastic center cap. I'll find a picture of a truck in the same color.

Posted · Report post

Could you take a picture of the engine in that for me please?

Posted · Report post

There is no engine, it's a curbside.

Posted · Report post

What about a Green color?

Posted · Report post

What about a Green color?

Yeah, a nice teal or aqua green might really set the truck and trailer off.

Posted · Report post

I'm toying with some colors right now. We'll see what'll look best.

Posted · Report post

I started messing around with the interior with a fine red Sharpie. Came out like a burgundy, so I thought I'd go with a Purple Metal Flake on the exterior. Hope to start painting tomorrow. Still gotta get some burgundy flocking for the floor.

AK000011-10.jpg

AK000010-11.jpg

AK000012-6.jpg

Posted · Report post

None of the test shots I did with the Purple Metal Flake came out the way I thought (although they are some nice colors I may use on other builds). I decided to go with this. It's Burgundy Red Metallic over Fire Red.

AK000010-12.jpg

Posted · Report post

I've put 3 coats of primer on this thing so far and the Maroon is still bleeding through. I'm bout to call it a day and shoot the red over it anyway.

Posted · Report post

I've put 3 coats of primer on this thing so far and the Maroon is still bleeding through. I'm bout to call it a day and shoot the red over it anyway.

That is a tough one to paint. I have one I did several years ago in silver. It came out a beautiful, very pale metallic rose color.

Kilz (at Lowes/Home Depot type stores) has a white spray primer that is supposed to block bleeding pretty well. I haven't tried it on a model yet, so I don't know how much detail it will bury. I've heard it should be shot with an airbrush to avoid those issues.

Posted · Report post

I figure a little bleed through is ok since the base coat will be red anyway. I'm bout to go out and spray it and see.

Posted · Report post

Well, the Burgundy Metallic was a little messed up, but I figured I'd stick with it, BUT, the clear messed up on me. So, since I gotta strip it I'm gonna go with a different color.

Posted · Report post

Well, the Burgundy Metallic was a little messed up, but I figured I'd stick with it, BUT, the clear messed up on me. So, since I gotta strip it I'm gonna go with a different color.

O Dang, I was looking forward to see it.

Can't wait to see the other color it's gonna be.

Posted · Report post

This time it's gonna be a simple red metallic.

Posted · Report post

The new color will be Stop Light Red Metallic over Fire Red. Because of the humidity I can't get it sprayed right now. My only choice is to paint late at night, so I could have it done in a couple weeks. This is a sample of the color, can't really see it very well, the sun isn't shining today.

AK000010-13.jpg