Model Cars Magazine Forum

making 1/25 scale spark plug wires

there are two things you want to consider when building spark plug wire

#1 what are you looking to spend ?

#2 how important is it that this is scratchbuild ?

if scratchbuilding doesnt have a high priority and you can stand to spend 6 dollars then your best bet (easiest way) would be to buy a pre wired distributor

most people on here will tell you to buy MAD units

they come with a distributor, your choice of colour spark plug wires (allready installed) a length of black wire that goes over the spark plug wires as booths) and (i beleive) a photo etched loom kit

these will came with step by step instructions which are easy to follow and are pretty simple: drill a hole for the shaft and install the dizzy

then drill hole for the plug wires where you would screw the plugs into the head

cut of the wires a little long and cut the booths

install the wire looms

slide the booths over the plugwire and slide the plugwire into the hole

(make sure the hole in the head is big enough for the wire but to small for the booth)

put a little drop of superglue on the whole and install the wire

this is the easiest way to do this but if you dont have the budget to spend on this you can make them pretty simple yourself

(though generally not as nice as the premade ones)

what i do when i make my own is use a section of 1/8th styrene tube that i drill out

then i use beading wire (i think its 32 gauge) that i gleu in and follow the same steps as in the other example

my bst advise is to get an old model engine and go to town, just get your hands dirty and try it :lol:

If you must make your own, please make sure they look the part! I have been noticing builders on these message boards using wiring that looks like it would be better scaled for garden hose! That is why I suggest the best way to go is to buy wire that is packaged for 1/25 scale plug wires. Not only are you getting the correct scale, but you are also helping the hobby by supporting the model car aftermarket.

If you must make your own, please make sure they look the part! I have been noticing builders on these message boards using wiring that looks like it would be better scaled for garden hose! That is why I suggest the best way to go is to buy wire that is packaged for 1/25 scale plug wires. Not only are you getting the correct scale, but you are also helping the hobby by supporting the model car aftermarket.

guilty as charged

i admit i have found out by trial and error that certain wires are great for radiator hoses and not so much for plugwires

IMG00041-20090620-2121.jpg

this turned out to be a better size wire

IMG00355-20100403-1847.jpg

M.A.D wired distributors are the best you can buy.

Hands down, one of the finest details you can buy for your models. The caps look spot on, the base is cleanly cast and easy to mount, the wires are long enough to mount easily, and there is enough "plug boot material" in the set to detail both ends of the wires no problem.

Add all that with good shipping speed and cost, along with stellar customer service, and you get parts that cannot be beat.

Jameston

If you want an alternative to the MAD distributors here are two:

RB Motion makes amazing boots from silicone. Check them out here: http://rbmotion.com/

If you really do want to make your own, then here is one way to do it. I copied this off the web sometime ago. (If someone knows who authored this let me know and I will give him credit.)

SparkPlugBoots.jpg

Steve