Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting With Nail Polish Hints Please???

I have heard of guys using nail polish to paint models and I am wondering what the pros and cons are of painting with it and if anyone can tell me what to use for thinning it for spraying with an air brush? ALso, what precautions should be taken as far as the spraying properties of the paint goes as to how heavy of a coat can be applied?? I was looking at Wal Mart today and there are some very nice colours available.. some are even close to several stock automotive colours that I recognize. I did pick up a blue that is close to a '63 Galaxie colour and I have a convertible that is waiting for paint. Another colour is close to the original Crown Sapphire used on '59 Chevrolet passenger cars. What would you use for a top coat or do you even need one if the final coat of nail polish is applied wet? Would real automotive clear coat work as a top coat or would Future floor polish be better? ? I believe that nail polish is actually lacquer and I'd be using commercial grade laquer primer under it if I was to use it. I have used lacquer primer many times before and when applied properly, it works well with no adverse effects on the plastic. The secret is to let it sit between coats long enough for the solvents to all eveaporate. So would I apply one coat of nail polish and then let the model sit overnight to allow the solvents to evaporate before applying the last coat? Any words of caution or advice will be appreciated.. Thanks in advance. B):lol::P

I've painted with nail polish a few times with great success. I use the Pure Ice found at Wally World, and use a low temp lacquer thinner to thin it. You have to thin nail polish quite a bit more than regular lacquers because of all the fast drying chemicals they add to it, but does go an nicely. After priming, I'll shoot a couple coats of Dupli-Color white base, then airbrush the nail polish. Give it a try, it's a good cheap alternative to HOK pearls sometimes.

Pure Ice Frosted Platinum Pearl on this trike....

PC110005.jpg

I shot some of the platinum pearl over white, then masked the stripes, and shot several coats of Pure Ice Hot Tamale on this one....

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010001-5.jpg

Edited by RatRod

Gary, I've been painting with Nail polish for years-in fact it's one of my Fav's. Thinning goes 2to1 ratio. Two parts thinner to one part paint. I use PPG-DTL876 thinner. And I use a good automotive primer(peferablly white). Depending upon the color your gonna use,your suppose to put a close matching basecoat color down. Myself I just laydown a base of white primer. You said you where going to use a Blue-I've painted with Blue polish before and had GREAT results. Also,I mix my paint with about a 1/4 of clear nail polish(still using the 2/1 ratio) and the shine just about Knock's ya over! I,usually let my paint gas-out at least a week or more,even after using the dehydrator. Good luck and you can checkout my work at HUBGARAGE.com in Ray's RadicalMind garage-case sensetive so must be typed like you see it here.

This is a great idea, cheap too. Secondly what primer? I use automotive grey primer from a rattle can, Where is the white primer?....Secondly Ive painted some chameleon metallic while I was in school on a speaker box with a flat black primer.

This is a great idea, cheap too. Secondly what primer? I use automotive grey primer from a rattle can, Where is the white primer?....Secondly Ive painted some chameleon metallic while I was in school on a speaker box with a flat black primer.

White primer is just White-in a can and the gray works too. Gray Might make lighter colors a little harder to get coverage,which brings up a good point that I didn't touch on coats-how many? Depends on color of nail polish(light or dark, useually about 2too3 coats is all it takes. This is something that you just have to test.

ive only painted one model with nailpolish

it was a 99c bottle from meijer called pizzaz frost or something

i thinned it out with laquer thinner to the consistancy of milk...in this case it was closer to 3 parts thinner to 1

i used a grey primer, german silver base coat and about 11 (eleven) coats of nailthinner (admitted i may have watered it down just a tiny hair to much)

havent finished the model yet but here is the body

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTQtMjAxMDA0MTktMjIwN.jpg

That body looks great!!! Clear coat will really make it pop too!!! Yes, it does take more thin coats with nail polish than regular lacquer, I think I put 5-6 thin coats on the dragster. It's better to thin nail polish a tad more, than not enough, it won't spray if it's not thinned right. As far as primer goes, I'm totally sold on Plasti-Kote sandable automotive primer as basic primers go, and Dupli-Color filler primer when I need that. The Plasti-Kote comes in white, gray, black, and red oxide.

That body looks great!!! Clear coat will really make it pop too!!! Yes, it does take more thin coats with nail polish than regular lacquer, I think I put 5-6 thin coats on the dragster. It's better to thin nail polish a tad more, than not enough, it won't spray if it's not thinned right. As far as primer goes, I'm totally sold on Plasti-Kote sandable automotive primer as basic primers go, and Dupli-Color filler primer when I need that. The Plasti-Kote comes in white, gray, black, and red oxide.

Ratrod I totally agree about the Primer's and thinning. A little more and Multi-coats.

Edited by raymanz

ive only painted one model with nailpolish

it was a 99c bottle from meijer called pizzaz frost or something

i thinned it out with laquer thinner to the consistancy of milk...in this case it was closer to 3 parts thinner to 1

i used a grey primer, german silver base coat and about 11 (eleven) coats of nailthinner (admitted i may have watered it down just a tiny hair to much)

havent finished the model yet but here is the body

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTQtMjAxMDA0MTktMjIwN.jpg

That's a VERY SHARP Body and Color looks KILLER! Good Job!

i have painted several models with nail polish...i mostly use dupli-color white auto primer from pep boys or advanced auto...etc...then unless ur painting a dark color i lay down a couple of LIGHT coat of dupli-color silver lacquer since nail polish is lacquer then several light coats of nail polish u dont have to wait to long between coats...10-15 min for me...most important u have to spray closer to the model then u do with paint 5-6 inches keep it moving passed the model then sand between coats if necessary...then a couple of wet coats..

let dry i usually give it a couple days at least then hit it with clear...here is the last model i painted with nail polish...

34fordpickupp003.jpg

Edited by outlaw035

hey guys are you people sure that nail polish is a lacquer paint and not enamel paint .. cuz i just got some pure ice nail polish , and then went on the companies site that makes the stuff an they refer to there polish as enamel ....????????? so can i thin it like enamal....

ive never used it so i dont kw wether its enamal or lacquer.. but a few salon stores an a few ladies told me its enamal as did the maker of pure ice polish , so can u ues the same stuff to thin enamals with..

Edited by mopar01lee

i always treated it as lacquer...i have even painted a few with pure ice using lacquer thinner so unless they changed the formula im treating it as lacquer...it dries so fast dont see how it could be enamel

The thinners evaporate quicker than most reducers and you can use lacquer thinner with synthetic and acrylic enamels when painting 1:1 cars and trucks. It works but the paint will not hold it's shine as long as a reduced enamel will especially with hardners. I have used thinners with enamels for painting bumpers and wheels and it held up OK but a good shine is not that important on those areas - you really want almost a semi gloss. I agree that the nail polish really doesn't smell like lacquer - so I don't know for sure what it is. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Gary, I've been painting with Nail polish for years-in fact it's one of my Fav's. Thinning goes 2to1 ratio. Two parts thinner to one part paint.

i have not build a model in over 10 years, so most of this is new to me. for that reason i have a few silly questions regarding this topic. does the paint have to be air brushed when using nail polish? or can it be done w/ a regular paint brush? also when doing the thinning. woudl i have to use what i thinn, or can the whole nail polish be thinned and saved for later use?

Edited by Ford Edsel

I always use lacquer thinners to thin mine and I think nail polish is more of a synthetic lacquer than enamel.anyways

Fordedsel nope ya cant brush it not nicely anyways. On average it takes a bottle and a half of polish to fully paint a model(airbrush). I tend to buy threee of each color where posible and mix two together using at least one refilled with thinners for a starting point. Then thin some more as nessecery. If not used for a while I'll always thin again right before use.