Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unfortunately, it's never been done in 1/25 except by brave modelers. One I've seen was done using the 3406 engine from the Revell snap kits and some AMT Cummins parts. It looked fairly convincing. I've wanted to do that and the 1674 as well. Finding reference material on them isn't easy, but I do have pix of a 1693 in a 1972/73 KW W900 if you would like to have them. Let me know.

Unfortunately, it's never been done in 1/25 except by brave modelers. One I've seen was done using the 3406 engine from the Revell snap kits and some AMT Cummins parts. It looked fairly convincing. I've wanted to do that and the 1674 as well. Finding reference material on them isn't easy, but I do have pix of a 1693 in a 1972/73 KW W900 if you would like to have them. Let me know.

hello there my fellow missourian, havent seen you on in a lil while. yes i would love some pics, the ones i found arent very revealing. thanks i apreciate it.

dennis

Interesting topic for discussion. I was thinking about the 1693TA Clatterpillar engine recently after finding an old Pete for sale at Coutland Truck Works. This old girl has this particular engine. But as stated by Ray nobody makes one for 1/25. So I might have a go at building one from scratch. I will need to get hold of a shop manual and more reference material. The stuff that I have is not sufficiant. If I do I might make it in sections to allow it to be cast.

Ray,

Am I right is saying that the 1674 was a bigger version of the 1673 but not popular with owners and drivers. I remember reading of problems with the 1674, which was eventually replaced by the 1693 which was a good engine??

Dave

The 1673/4 from what I could tell were lower horsepower engines. 250-290 hp I think. I'm not sure how well they were liked by drivers although I do know that the 1693 was like the 3406 of its day(best comparison I could think of) and liked by their drivers from what I've heard. They did have the nickname "Clatterpiller" because of the sound when running. Look up that nickname on youtube. There's a video with a KW that has this engine running at idle. I can see how the name came about. You'll find others, too.

These shots are from a truck that was for sale on ebay back in '07. It's the KW I mentioned.

PicturesasofAugust120071015.jpg

PicturesasofAugust120071014.jpg

PicturesasofAugust120071007.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just thinking a friend of ours has a bran new 1693 siting in the corner of his shop. Oh its been siting there since 1970 or so still boxed up. If I can get photos will do. clayton

thanks clayton, i think i have got a 1693 but not totally sure. i need to get a good look at both sides and the top.

thanks again for any help guys

dennis

I don't know the engine well enough to know but I was wondering, where did you get that? Is it 1/25 scale????

yeah its a 1/25 scale, i got it in one of the junk yard parts lot i buy. not sure what it is lol the rightside looks just like the pics flatbed posted for me of 1693, but the left side is different. if i find out it is a 1693 we will have to make a bunch caus eits purdy much 100% minus pullies, fan, alt.

heres couple more pics:

16933.jpg

16934.jpg

Edited by cowboysevens

yeah its a 1/25 scale, i got it in one of the junk yard parts lot i buy. not sure what it is lol the rightside looks just like the pics flatbed posted for me of 1693, but the left side is different. if i find out it is a 1693 we will have to make a bunch caus eits purdy much 100% minus pullies, fan, alt.

heres couple more pics:

16933.jpg

16934.jpg

That's not the motor from the AMT Cat D9 bulldozer kit, is it?

That's not the motor from the AMT Cat D9 bulldozer kit, is it?

i have no idea what its from, it has a good size tranny on it. do you have a pic of the d9 motor? like i said everything matches except the air intake manifold and i think the water pump. i dont think its for a dozer cause it has a air compresser with govoner on it. lol hmmmmmmmmmm

dennis

Ok, just puuled a dozer kit out and checked. It's not from the dozer kit!

Man, I hope it is a 1693!!!! It may be a non aftercooled version. The aftercooler is the big boxy looking part on the upper left side of the motor in the pics above. Some were aftercooled, some were not.

If that is a 1693, I hope you'll consider disassembling it, cleaning it up and recasting it!!!!!!!!

Ok, just puuled a dozer kit out and checked. It's not from the dozer kit!

Man, I hope it is a 1693!!!! It may be a non aftercooled version. The aftercooler is the big boxy looking part on the upper left side of the motor in the pics above. Some were aftercooled, some were not.

If that is a 1693, I hope you'll consider disassembling it, cleaning it up and recasting it!!!!!!!!

well if we could find a pic of the valve covers it would help alot, it has the "blow-by" hose comin of the top just like the pics of 1693's. i will take all the pics of this motor that we need top figure this out cause i would really like it to be. and if it does turn out to be one OH HECK YES WE GONNA MAKE A BUNCH OF COPIES!!! lol

dennis

well if we could find a pic of the valve covers it would help alot, it has the "blow-by" hose comin of the top just like the pics of 1693's. i will take all the pics of this motor that we need top figure this out cause i would really like it to be. and if it does turn out to be one OH HECK YES WE GONNA MAKE A BUNCH OF COPIES!!! lol

dennis

Sweet!!!!!!! I have a lot of super detailed parts that may be able to be used in place of some that may be on there such as the alternator, AC compressor, fuel filter mount, things like that. I can also machine new fuel and oil filters for it out of aluminum as well as individual pulleys for the belts.

Sweet!!!!!!! I have a lot of super detailed parts that may be able to be used in place of some that may be on there such as the alternator, AC compressor, fuel filter mount, things like that. I can also machine new fuel and oil filters for it out of aluminum as well as individual pulleys for the belts.

i dont wanna get excited about it untill i know its a 1693, it may very well be cause ive seen a few different manifolds in the pics ive been researchin. the starter is the same, the gear drive off the front of motor for the fuel rack is the same even has the big oil line comin off the turbo. whats throwin me is the vavle covers, even the oil pan looks like a big fat cat pan. they always have held more oil than the cummins and detroits. i sure hope it is, we need some help on this one.

dennis

I'm going to have to burst a bubble here. That's the AMT Mack R kit's engine. ENDT-675 I believe is the model #, but that is definately the AMT Mack R's engine. Commonly known as the 237(HP).

Here's mine from the right side.

100_0289.jpg

Here is a link to the AMT Mack R kit's instruction sheet so you can verify.

http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truckkit_instructions/amt/5020_mack_r685st/

Good try, though. Maybe bashing this with a 3406 might yield some results? Who knows?

Edited by FlatbedKW

Consider this as well. Both CAT and Mack have high pressure fuel systems. In other words, the pump has 6 individual fuel lines from the pump with one line feeding each injector. That's why the fuel pumps look similar.

Cummins and Detroit are low pressure systems. The pump has one or 2 lines going to the head(s), and the injectors are like pigs feeding at a trough.

Click on this link and you will see the left side of 2 Mack engines. The one on the left is the one found in the R Model kit. The one on the right would be the engine from the Cruiseliner kit. This pic is from the 1978 Mack R brochure.

http://images53.fotki.com/v1578/file0nY1/28202/5/117425/8092508/S25C409012712160_0006.jpg

Edited by FlatbedKW

That's the AMT Mack R kit's engine. ENDT-675 I believe is the model #, but that is definately the AMT Mack R's engine.

Here's mine from the right side.

100_0289.jpg

it looks like we have a winner. wow if you look at all the stuff on righjt side of motor it looks the same as the 1693, but the left side and valve covers are different. why doesnt it say mack on it?? lol every mack model motor ive had always says mack on the block. hmmmm thanks flatbed by the way where is your oil fill tube, oil line for the turbo and fuel filter off the pump??? lol thanks for straitening this out for us. and the search goes on!!

yup its a 237 hp maxidyne mack motor.

dennis

Edited by cowboysevens

LOL, DOH! I forgot all about the Mack kit! I guess it was the color that confused me! Darn, I was hopin that it was a 1693!!!!!! Oh well, back to square one! :lol:

lol yup doh!! but i think ray might be on to somethin as far as bashing it with a 3406, cause the whole right side of the motor is the same, just change the intake, and valve covers and it might work. hmmmm i know what im doin next!!

dennis