Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Thompson Mustang AA/FC

Dragline

While I gather some dough to pick up the BILLION supplies I need to finish about the same number of projects I decided to start this OOB project.

EDIT: I'll be building the M/T Mustang thanks to Mark [70sfc] who generously donated a set of SLIXX M/T decals for this project. I wanted to thank you publicly Mark.

I'll do the 69 Stang with full detail but since I have 2 of these Jo-Han AA/FC kits I figgered what they hey right? OOB is no sin last I checked.

301pwmt.jpg

Since I can't go a day without building I got busy right away and in 3 days have made fair progress. BUT, I soon realized I'm going to need supplies to finish this car as well as the others.....Oh Well.......

10epl49.jpg

qx7y3q.jpg

Car will still be OOB but will be accurate now thanks to Mark.

Thanks for looking and feeding my addiction to NITRO. Especially Mark!

Bob

Edited by Dragline

Bob.....I hope you don`t mind that I put this photo up?....let me know if you don`t want this photo here and I will take it down.......I just thought is was so cool that you are building the white version of this car......I made this model before 'WhoopieKat" decals and Slixx made the decals for this car......the lettering is white rub on letters and hand painted gold over the grove name......we think alike my friend on vintage drag cars.

DSCF6230-1.jpg

Don't be silly John. You're like my big brother of modeling. I will always want your input and anything you can add.

Of course, that's the EXACT next car I'm building. I'll use the PL kit and the SLIXX decals to get it done.

Oh BTW, gorgeous car J.

Your NITRO buddy.....

Bob

Bob,

Probably should have chosen my words better. The '69 stang ran a 427 S.O.H.C . The white Mustang also never ran a Ford engine according to the "70's Funny Car" website.If you have some hemi heads and valve covers in your parts box, I woud just put them on the Ford block. I have attached a couple of pics that may help you with your builds.

Good luck

Mark

post-5940-12818958965562_thumb.jpg

post-5940-12818959421703_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pix. I ran across the white one earlier today.

I'm going to leave the white one as is I think. It's just for giggles.

The 69 is another story as I plan on doing that one accurately. I'm a stickler for accuracy [see my Garlits 1R build for an example], but at times get lazy.

Thanks for the info and a little crossfire... LOL

Bob

Thanks for the pix. I ran across the white one earlier today.

I'm going to leave the white one as is I think. It's just for giggles.

The 69 is another story as I plan on doing that one accurately. I'm a stickler for accuracy [see my Garlits 1R build for an example], but at times get lazy.

Thanks for the info and a little crossfire... LOL

Bob

Bob, I agree , your Garlits build IS a well detailed build, I even saved some pics for when I get to that build in my long list of projects. I found another Grove pic showing the rear of the car.

Mark

post-5940-12819061244037_thumb.jpg

Thanks Shane. I've decided to go with the Mickey Thompson decals on this instead of Tommy Grove. I did some "actual" research on this and from what I can tell Jo-Han made this chassis and body specifically to model the MT car. Slixx has the decals so it's a done deal.

Gotta get some dough for supplies. I'm running short due to other things.

I'll get er there eventually.

Bob

Bob,

You are correct about the Johan chassis being wrong for the Grove car, but the body is actually a pretty good match, being a flat hood Mustang. If you still plan on doing the M/T mustang and are a little short on funds, I have a spare set of decals that you can have ,just hit me off the board with your address and they are yours.

Mark

mbail_04@yahoo.com

Edited by 70sfc

I may be just a tad late to the party, and perhaps someone else might have mentioned it, but the Tommy Grove '69 'Stang had a Logghe chassis with a Ford SOHC motor.

The '71 is looking great! I'll be most interested to see it after it's finished. It's gonna be great!

Edited by Marlowe

I may be just a tad late to the party, and perhaps someone else might have mentioned it, but the Tommy Grove '69 'Stang had a Logghe chassis with a Ford SOHC motor.

The '71 is looking great! I'll be most interested to see it after it's finished. It's gonna be great!

It sure does have those things. The PL kit comes with a SOHC for it [and the Chrysler Hemi] and of course the Logghe Stamping Co frame. I have it mocked up already but supplies are still low. I'll be getting to that one soon though.

Bob