Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kitbash 87 T Bird

Scalper

Quick update, So its been really hot has lately but I wanted to build so last week I decided to tackle the rear bumper. Well this happened 8 dollar tiny roll of masking tape did not impress me. Well as you can see I have some touch up work to do. sorry for the crude mock up. I am always posting with to much haste.

Let me know what you think about the colors.

all Comments welcome. All.

Thanks For looking

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

Andre

Paint boo-boos happen, and can be dealt with. No real worries on the rear bumper. Tail light panel looks good. Wheel/tire choice is a personal opinion, and therefore is yours (some may like them while others do not).

What color will the interior be?

Getting closer to finished. What will the overall look be, slightly used or freshly painted (considering your $200.00 'Pass Time' entrant reference earlier)?

Kinda Getting closer. Depending how the touch up looks, I would like it to look freshly painted. I marked the areas for touch up with a silver sharpie. spray some paint into something I can lightly brush.

But if it fails. it will be a old mods from the 80's with nitros of course.

Block will be either Semi-Gloss Black (or Light Gray, depending on year and application), oil pan will be the same as the block, head will be left natural Cast Iron, exhaust manifold will be rusted Iron or burnt metal, Valve cover will be Aluminum (most guys re-shoot it either Gloss Black or a contrasting color and polish out the fins/logo), intake manifold (both upper and lower) is a natural sand-cast Aluminum. Turbo (being an IHI-Werner T3 .60-.48) compressor side will be Aluminum, with the center Cast Iron, and the turbine housing/wastegate/downpipe housing being rusted Iron to burnt metal. Distributor cap was usually the Gray FORD unit, wires either Gray or Black, and the front dress cover that Eggshell/Plasic Black color. Pullies were Gloss or Semi-Gloss Black.

The valve covers on these engines were black with brushed fins (just got back from the garage after checking) it isn't a smooth finish, but not a actual wrinkle finis either. all but one of the original engines I've seen were black, the odd ball could have been a dealer replacement, it was the old Ford blue with a black head like the 2.0s were. the only gray engines I've seen were in Mustangs,Fairmont/Granadas, & Ranger pick-ups. Also, mine came with a Ford blue dist cap, orange plug ends, & gray ignition wires, with black ends on the distributor ends.

Edited by horsepower

Del, what year is yours? The 86 Merkur XR4Ti I yanked the engine from had a Grey block and pan, with a natural finish valve cover. My 1984 GT Turbo Mustang had the Black block and pan with the Satin Black valve cover (with brushed fins). I guess I should have stated that the fins were aluminum color versus valve cover colored (hence, my polished reference). Both of them had the Ford Grey distributor cap, but one had the Grey wires and the other had the black wires (don't ask me now as both are apart for freshening up. The Merkur motor is going Volvo DOHC conversion).

I had an 87 TurboCoupe motor laying around too, and it was Black block/pan with the Satin Black/brushed valve cover. Blue cap with grey wires(both were replaced with Ford units at some time).

As to the relevance of this info to the original poster; I believe we were both too late as the engine was together before we both posted our info. I have found both turboford.net and N.A.T.O (North American TurboCoupe Owners) sites to be very helpful with these 2.3Ts, as well as foureyedpride.com!

Well Andre, I believe that Esslinger Engineering and one other company (that I cannot remember the name of at this moment) were working with Ford to develop an Aluminum block for the Lima 2.3/2.5 market and aim it at the ARCA guys (Esslinger already made a couple aluminum heads for the 2.3, one specifically for ARCA racing), so painting your block aluminum and calling it a 'Ford Special Project' wouldn't be too far out there. They also had a functioning DOHC aluminum cylinder head slated for the 1987 SVO Mustang, but both projects were cancelled due in part to budgeting and overall lack of public interest in the SVO as a whole.

Well Andre, I believe that Esslinger Engineering and one other company (that I cannot remember the name of at this moment) were working with Ford to develop an Aluminum block for the Lima 2.3/2.5 market and aim it at the ARCA guys (Esslinger already made a couple aluminum heads for the 2.3, one specifically for ARCA racing), so painting your block aluminum and calling it a 'Ford Special Project' wouldn't be too far out there. They also had a functioning DOHC aluminum cylinder head slated for the 1987 SVO Mustang, but both projects were cancelled due in part to budgeting and overall lack of public interest in the SVO as a whole.

I like what you are saying. It would save a quarter second down the strip. :D

• 1 year later...

Hello.. Well It it's been almost 2 years since I have worked on this one . Going to work on today. Going to paint the Dash and steering wheel ect, The detail and that should be it for the interior .

Also rad and firewall Ready to be installed,

DSC01336_zps4670b5cd.jpg

More to come.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Guys, That red T bird would be cool to build too. Wonder where you would get the wheels for it.

Got the glass and the back bumper glued in. Now have the top front bumper masked off. Red stripe clear and visible for now.

DSC01343_zps031553e0.jpg

Thanks for looking.