Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 Ford F100 PU (Converting from MK Camper Special)

Bigjeepzz

Hey guys I have had this MK F150 Camper Special and I decided to start some of the modifications to it. First thing up is major surgery to the bed. Whoever decided to make a model of this truck (camper special) made a bad decision, man that bed is terrible. But then again I can't complain too much because I did get the year model I wanted.

Anyway I cut the bed and glued it back together. I also had to cut a chunk out of the frame. I am making the 6' 3/4 short box. I have a grilll from a 77 (which will be casted in resin very soon) so I decided to turn it into a 77 F100. I am going to be cutting most of the extra trim away to give the truck a real clean body.

Of course the tire choice is the 49 Irocs, I could not come up with any other build to use these on. Thanks for looking and I hope to post some more progress on the bed soon.

Jake

MVC-064S.jpg

MVC-065S.jpg

Casey nice job on the 8ft bed. I am going to make on of those too. I will let you know about the 77 grill the mold has been made and I am a few days from listing the grill. I will keep you updated.

Nick you can get those tires from www.Rpphobby.com. Corey is a great person to deal with. Look for the 49" Irocs

Jake

Nice work. Here are a couple of pics. of the one that I built a few years back using the original AMT Firestone pickup truck as a starting point.

DSC02925-vi.jpg

DSC02927-vi.jpg

I really like the work on the bed. If I had taken more time back when I built this I would have made some changes to the overall look of the bed myself. I recently changed out the tires that I had first used on the build to include a pair of the Irocs that I also picked up from RPP Hobby.

Wayne, I have seen pics of your truck before, can't remember where though. You did a great job and I really like the way you have it set up. I see several trucks running around in the GA and FL that are set up as hunting rigs.

I still have a long ways to go on the bed. I started removing the trim from the bed today and it looks like it is going to be a long process. I hope to have some pics in a few days.

Jake

Well I got some work done to the rear suspension. I do not car for the detail of the axles in this kit so they are gone. I am installing a set of resin Unimog Portal axles in thier place. I had to build the leaf packs and here is where I have gotton thus far. I hope to finish building the rear tonight and hope to get strated on the front. Front suspension is going to be the standard coil sprung suspension with radius arms. Thanks for looking.

Jake

MVC-071S.jpg

MVC-072S.jpg

The front suspension was painted and assembled tonight. I still have some touch up but for the most part here it is. I still need to add some more details to the steering as well. The goal was to maintain a suspension very similar to an OEM Ford.

Jake

MVC-075S.jpg

MVC-076S.jpg

MVC-077S.jpg