Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peerless log trailer question

Hello everyone Im building an amt peerless log trailer and am wondering if it is supposed to pivot on the dead axle in the center. I drive a log truck in real life and they do pivot, so when you load the trailer on the truck it sits on the rides on the bolster of the truck.

I've built well over 100 of these Peerless loggers, as well as scratchbuilt alot of off-highway long-log trailers- (Peerless, Page, etc), and I always replace the kit dead axle (actually called the 'trunion') with a working one. I prefer using plastruct 3/16th round tubing (part number 90105) with a metal rod (you'll need to drill small holes in the kit's molded ones- on the spring pack) but it's well worth the trouble and the trailer will look correct in the loaded (on truck) or towing position.

Funny to run across this today, as I just put 5 more of these 'working trunion' assemblies together today for stock ahead.

I also use these 'Hutch' -style spring suspensions (as the kit provides) under most everything- dump trailers, hayrack chassis, etc, as they are simple, super easy to scratchbuild, and actually appear under all kinds of trailer applications across various industries.

Good luck and holler with questions. If needed I can photograph and post in steps for you too.

Here is a partially completed trailer in the loaded position, with axles level and trailer body angled over the cabguard.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/Juneau125/Scale%20Model%20Truck%20and%20Equipment%20Collection/IMGP9139.jpg

I don't know about any one else,but I would love to see a step by step on the suspension and trunion parts and assembly.Thanks,Chris

I've built well over 100 of these Peerless loggers, as well as scratchbuilt alot of off-highway long-log trailers- (Peerless, Page, etc), and I always replace the kit dead axle (actually called the 'trunion') with a working one. I prefer using plastruct 3/16th round tubing (part number 90105) with a metal rod (you'll need to drill small holes in the kit's molded ones- on the spring pack) but it's well worth the trouble and the trailer will look correct in the loaded (on truck) or towing position.

Funny to run across this today, as I just put 5 more of these 'working trunion' assemblies together today for stock ahead.

I also use these 'Hutch' -style spring suspensions (as the kit provides) under most everything- dump trailers, hayrack chassis, etc, as they are simple, super easy to scratchbuild, and actually appear under all kinds of trailer applications across various industries.

Good luck and holler with questions. If needed I can photograph and post in steps for you too.

Here is a partially completed trailer in the loaded position, with axles level and trailer body angled over the cabguard.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/Juneau125/Scale%20Model%20Truck%20and%20Equipment%20Collection/IMGP9139.jpg