Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Ford

Starliner Kustoms

Hey everybody, back again for the last car of the year. This car is a friction motor promo my father had around and the chrome was pretty tired on it. The paint was in great shape and only had to be polished. After see this car every time I was there and wishing it was in my collection he asked me one day to take it and not only chrome the bumpers but all of the trim with BMF for him. Now this being a promo and in really descent shape, I hesitated for a while as I did not want to loose the value of the car. After a lot of thought I agreed. Seeing this was an untouched car I did not take the interior pan out because I did not want the risk of breaking anything so I only removed the floor pan and bumpers. You may see how the windshield is down a little. I tried to pull it up but it wasn't going anywhere. So I cleaned the body with soap and water, polished it and proceeded to chrome all of the trim. The bumpers were tricky... I have never worked with alclad and did not want to send them out as I wanted to finish this by Christmas so I BMF both. Yikes!!!! Considering the time and being a pain to do they did not come out to bad in my opinion. I am posting before and after shots so you can see the difference. Thanks for looking and Happy Modeling!

Nice restoration! Love that style of Ford. Just something about the design of the 58's that I really like over others of that era!

My wife's cousin had a 2door sedan red and cream! I wanted that car so bad!:D

I got hit by one of those when I was 8 years old!!! (spring 1960)

Neighbor had a Yellow and Black 4door had just left his driveway and I was heading down the hill and across the street at "aunt Mabel's" (no real relation) and went right out in front of him and his wife! I can still hear her screaming!!! (makes me feel bad too thinking about it) I had bad road rash skinned both elbows and knees and had a nice bruise the shape of the grill center on my right thigh for a couple weeks!

Lucky he had just left the house and wasn't moving fast!

Thanks Guys... Midnight, I agree 100% with you I would love to see this as a kit again along with the 59. Maybe a 3 car combo set 57-8 and 9. Johnny My father had one when he was a kid. All black with a conni. kit out back. Posted a pic of it. Circa '61. Sharp cars. And glad to see your still around after getting hit by one. Thats a lot of metal! Anyway, thanks again and Happy Modeling.

Thanks Ed, that would be cool. If you have any questions you can catch me at either site. As far as more blast's, I'm working on it...lol Hope to make more time in the new year to build and dig through some old photo's for reference.

Speaking of which,hope everyone has a Happy New Year and Happy Modeling...

Edited by Starliner Kustoms

The car looks great!! Nice work and a job VERY well done. I agree with a previous poster thatthey should reissue the '58. I like all three years - '57, '58 and '59 although I can not say that I prefer one year over another. Each one has it's own style and beauty - I really like the side trim on the '58 Fairlane 500 - I just may have to get me a resin one I guess because the old annuals are just too pricey. ;):P:)

• 2 weeks later...