Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bench Project - Piranha SHADO Mobile Unit

I working on a Italeri LAV-25 Piranha that I'm building as a SHADO vehicle. I just painted it last night, so when it dries, I'll go back and add the detail colors, black wash and SHADO decals. Still have to do the wheels. It's painted Dupli-Color Avignon Blue. My next 3 or 4 builds will all be SHADO related. A what if SHADO really existed, what would they use 30 years later using today's vehicles. The Piranha would be taking the place of the old mobile units. I loved the old UFO show.

IMG_2803-vi.jpg

IMG_2801-vi.jpg

Edited by chris731

Got a lot done tonight, got the wheels on, did some paint detail, installed antenna, added some weathering, and added the SHADO decals. Still have more paint detailing and decaling before shooting it with flat clear. Still need to put the rear doors on but it's shaping up.

Edited by chris731

Thanks! I just finished decaling it tonight. I used decals from cars, planes, and whatever I had in my stash, but tried to make sense in decal placement. Once the decals dry, I'll install the rear doors then dullcoat it so it's almost finished. I don't know why someone would poopoo creativity. Anyone can mimick, I have more fun doing projects like this which is what any hobby is supposed to be about. Let the puritans be puritans. I'll take creativity anyday. I build for me anyways.

Edited by chris731

I finished it last by spraying it with dullcoat. I had fun on this one and going to do another SHADO vehicle. I think the next will be replacing that little blue transport they used to shuttle around in. Well anyway, thanks for looking.

IMG_2835-vi.jpg

IMG_2842-vi.jpg

Edited by chris731

armor modelers are sticklers for accuracy and tend to not appreciate depictions that have no "provenance" to back them up. i'm thinking that the kit as a starting point has accuracy issues that they don't like, as well. me; i don't care. i've hacked up plenty of tanks to build imaginary sci-fi hardware over the years. i have a couple of ww2 airplanes in the closet that might get some imagineering instead of accurizing....

armor modelers are sticklers for accuracy and tend to not appreciate depictions that have no "provenance" to back them up. i'm thinking that the kit as a starting point has accuracy issues that they don't like, as well. me; i don't care. i've hacked up plenty of tanks to build imaginary sci-fi hardware over the years. i have a couple of ww2 airplanes in the closet that might get some imagineering instead of accurizing....

Imagineering...heh, I like that.

in no way can i take credit for that word; "imagineering"; i think the first time i heard it was in reference to the work done by the folks working at Disney, creating the fantastic things viewed thousands of times a day in the parks and in their films. once upon a time, i greatly wished to work in the film industry building models; but alack and alas, more than 90% of the work done these days is accomplished the same way i'm writing this. same as the field of mechanical drawing (Drafting) which i spent years learning how to do with a pencil, t-square and straightedge.

anyways; i could see that vehicle in action, clear as day. very nice build. when i re-work vehicles like these, i try not to leave too much of the original item in... i did one LONG ago, using the hull of a Patton Tank and two security cases from eight-track tapes (remember eight tracks?) to create a superstructure. i used the cupola from the original turret, atop a clear medicine bottle which it miraculously fit perfectly, and made a "command tank/apc" out of it. now that R-M has reissued the Patton, i might build another.

in no way can i take credit for that word; "imagineering"; i think the first time i heard it was in reference to the work done by the folks working at Disney, creating the fantastic things viewed thousands of times a day in the parks and in their films. once upon a time, i greatly wished to work in the film industry building models; but alack and alas, more than 90% of the work done these days is accomplished the same way i'm writing this. same as the field of mechanical drawing (Drafting) which i spent years learning how to do with a pencil, t-square and straightedge.

anyways; i could see that vehicle in action, clear as day. very nice build. when i re-work vehicles like these, i try not to leave too much of the original item in... i did one LONG ago, using the hull of a Patton Tank and two security cases from eight-track tapes (remember eight tracks?) to create a superstructure. i used the cupola from the original turret, atop a clear medicine bottle which it miraculously fit perfectly, and made a "command tank/apc" out of it. now that R-M has reissued the Patton, i might build another.

Thanks! I tried to capture some elements from the original Mobile Units. I'm happy how it came out.

8-tracks, hah. I still have mine, and my Panasonic 8-track home player. Your build sounds really interesting. I hope you do build one. It's refreshing to see someone builds when they deviate from the norm.